Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0501- Not sure where to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 05:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts
Default P0501- Not sure where to start

So I have combed both the Rave in the tranny section and the LT230 Transfer Box manual looking into this. The only other thread I found was where Disco Mike spread his as usual cheer on a thread with minimal input that was of value…

Anyway, I found the section where the code is described and read up in detail about everything. Just as a quick recap, this code is where the signal hard wired to the tranny ecu doesn’t match the one SLABS has provided. Specifically, the value is implausible.

Neat, now what? Rave lists the possible causes as:
- wiring short circuit to vehicle supply
- wiring short circuit to vehicle earth
- Wiring open circuit

Again, neat, but what does that mean? This was a new code that came immediately prior to my purchase and the PO saw it come up too and a Rover mechanic couldn’t figure it out.

The VSS is in the gizzard of the tranny above the valve block I believe, but is it even a part that can be replaced? I’m going to do a tranny service to include a new filter and while I’m in there obviously going to look around, but does anyone have any ideas?

I found the pins for the connectors and the like in the Rave, but I can’t really think of what to do other than a visual. I do know this: the PO had the T case replaced shortly before my purchase and I thought either a connector was unplugged, or a wire got messed with during that process. However, as I looked through the Rave, there really aren’t any connectors related to that work close to the VSS wiring.

So I’m just not sure where to start on this one. Could it be there is some gunk on the VSS making it give wonky readings and just pulling it and inspecting as an extra step when I do the tranny service is worth it?

Old 04-11-2022, 06:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So I found a couple threads on the VSS. My speedo works perfect as does the cruise control. Based on what the Rave has said, I focused on the VSS and not the ones at all 4 corners. Plus, I’d think I’d get the Amigos or some code pointing to the SLABS instead of this?

Old 04-11-2022, 06:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So as I keep researching, the cruise control works off the SLABS speed signal and not the VSS, so I’m back at that being the source.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

How quickly does it set the code? Does it set in town, or only at highway speed? The speed sensor is unlikely to be providing false readings, more like on or off. When did it start? How many miles on the vehicle? If you drive in 3rd gear only does it set the code?

Most likely explanation is that a clutch is slipping. Do you have a device that can read TCM codes? I am not clear on the logic on the D2 trans, that code might only come from a bad sensor. I had a Jag with bad clutch, slipped in first and reverse, threw a code. ZF 6HP26 though, not the HP22/24. They don't use an input sensor on the HP22/24, only the CPS.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Extinct
How quickly does it set the code? Does it set in town, or only at highway speed? The speed sensor is unlikely to be providing false readings, more like on or off. When did it start? How many miles on the vehicle? If you drive in 3rd gear only does it set the code?

Most likely explanation is that a clutch is slipping. Do you have a device that can read TCM codes? I am not clear on the logic on the D2 trans, that code might only come from a bad sensor. I had a Jag with bad clutch, slipped in first and reverse, threw a code. ZF 6HP26 though, not the HP22/24. They don't use an input sensor on the HP22/24, only the CPS.
According to the Rave, the code sets after 2 drive cycles. I clear it from time to time and it comes back in what I would call about that type of interval. The only real driving I’ve done of it was the 1200 mile fly and drive and I cleared it straight away and then would come back what kinda seems like after a a couple tanks of fuel- or 2 drive cycles more or less.

As for speed, makes no difference. Obviously on the fly and drive it was at freeway speed most of the time. Since I’ve been home and put a couple hundred miles on it, that has all been in town and it’s come back.

In terms of a clutch slipping, it sure seems like it shifts just fine. Now I don’t beat on it or anything, but the shifts seem positive enough for me. It’s got 170k on the clock and I’ve not really driven in 3rd gear much. I did ask if the PO had a tranny service done and he did not in time with it.

I’ve got a icarsoft, but haven’t ordered another Nanocom yet. I know there is a tranny module in the icarsoft, but I’ve never tried to use it on the D2. Think it will work?

I’m hesitant to agree on a clutch slipping too as the code being P0501, based on what the Rave is saying, it thinks there is something wrong with the wiring somewhere. This is a Kalifornistan car for it’s whole life and although not overly loved, also very obviously not abused and I doubt much if ever off road- things are just too clean in some key places underneath.

I’ve not done any form of appreciable inspection under it based on weather just finally starting to get better (even though we are to get snow this weekend FFS) but doing some simple inspections of wiring from underneath was going to be my first step. I’m debating pulling the valve body when I have the tranny pan off to do the filter and seeing if I can see anything there with the VSS (that’s why I was thinking maybe some gunk is in there giving an intermittent signal?).

The reason I think intermittent signal issue is due to the VSS working just like the WSS in that it seems it’s a pulse width modulation measurement and perhaps something is wonky in there?