Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto to manual tranny conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto to manual tranny conversion

So here I am, on a Saturday night, liver and stomach still recovering from Friday night. Nothing on TV (Lindsay Lohan on SNL? Come on ), and my mind began to wander to my Disco: has anyone converted a DII automatic tranny to a DI manual tranny? I know with the right amount of money, anything can be done, but is there a write up, or parts list, or someone to talk to about this? I prefer the manual over the automatic, and I'd be totally willing to gut my truck to make the conversion, if it can be done. If I can get some input and direction on this project, I'll start putting money away to do it. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, there is one floating around this board...IIRC it was done by Lucky8?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And when you do it, don't forget to factor in things like a new crank position sensor spacer (different size spacer for manual tranny), and what you will have to have re-programmed (dealer or well equipped shop) because the transmission ECU won't be talking on the CAN bus to the ECU, shift interlock, etc. In other words, nuts and bolts are only part of the issue.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Besides the new tranny, you will need a new engine ECU from the UK from a manual D2 from there, wire harness, mounts drive shaft replacements, bell housing and clutch along with a pedal assembly for starters.
Just curious though, why would you want one over your good auto?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench

Did you try to watch Lindsey with the mute on? If you do you might not be thinking about your truck. I'd take a manual D1 or D2 tho.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Mudding

Mike, I like stick shift, and it seems like a cool project. Plus, I like to customize my cars to suit me, and having something that almost no one else has appeals to me. My GF things I'm crazy too, but I'm constantly changing/fixing/updating/creating new things on my SHO and GN, but now she drives the Taurus (and I'm not allowed to touch it), the GN is in a storage facility, and I have nothing to play with (insert Lindsay Lohan joke here). I plan on driving this truck until the wheels fall off, so might as well make it into something I want to drive.

And no, I did not try to watch Lindsay with the sound off, but it hindsight, it seems like a good idea.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to get in touch with the guys at Lucky8 and see if you can get an idea of the cost and labor involved. I too, would LOVE a 5-spd DII.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

just buy an old d1 and change over. easier that way.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eaglerover22
So here I am, on a Saturday night, liver and stomach still recovering from Friday night. Nothing on TV (Lindsay Lohan on SNL? Come on ), and my mind began to wander to my Disco: has anyone converted a DII automatic tranny to a DI manual tranny? I know with the right amount of money, anything can be done, but is there a write up, or parts list, or someone to talk to about this? I prefer the manual over the automatic, and I'd be totally willing to gut my truck to make the conversion, if it can be done. If I can get some input and direction on this project, I'll start putting money away to do it. Thanks in advance.
Your best bet is to import the whole kit and caboodle from England, bell housing , ECU ect (as Disco Mike said). That is on my list of planed mods as I also am a huge fan of stick shifts. Truth be told my D2 is the first auto I have ever owned.