Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1412

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1412

Well, had the first Service Engine Soon light come on today....the local shop read the codes a reset them for me. Drove it around a bit and the light did not come back on, so hopefully that's a good sign. Only one code showed up for them....P1412 for Aux. Emission Control. Anything I should be concerned about right now, or just wait to see if it comes back on and check codes again?

Thanks for your help!

(And by the way...thanks for the feedback prior to my purchase. I've had it a few weeks now and absolutely love it!)

Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: P1412

I would just wait and see if it comes on again.
Glad that you love your trk.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If it comes back on, get it checked. I checked 3 different places and can't find that code, but any code is important.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

P1412
Land Rover
Secondary air system fault bank 1Drive cycle D:Signal implausible

Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I"m curious about codes as well.

So what does that code mean exactly when it comes to the maintaince of the vehicle?

Thank you for your time,

Tech870

Old 02-05-2008, 04:08 AM
Overlanding

I have the same code and this is what I got from a 4x4 site. This is a copy and paste from that site.

Secondary air injection fault - codes below:

P-code Description
P1412 SAI system fault (LH side) - air delivery not reaching catalysts
P1414 SAI system fault (LH side) - air delivery not reaching catalysts
P1413 SAI system fault (LH side) - air delivery not reaching catalysts
P1415 SAI system fault (RH side) - air delivery not reaching catalysts
P1417 SAI system fault (RH side) - air delivery not reaching catalysts
P1416 SAI system fault (RH side) - air delivery not reaching catalysts

From RAVE:

Secondary air injection system
The secondary air injection (SAI) system comprises the following components:
l Secondary air injection pump
l SAI vacuum solenoid valve
l SAI control valves (2 off, 1 for each bank of cylinders)
l SAI pump relay
l Vacuum reservoir
l Vacuum harness and pipes
The secondary air injection system is used to limit the emission of carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbons (HCs)
that are prevalent in the exhaust during cold starting of a spark ignition engine. The concentration of hydrocarbons
experienced during cold starting at low temperatures are particularly high until the engine and catalytic converter
reach normal operating temperature. The lower the cold start temperature, the greater the prevalence of
hydrocarbons emitted from the engine.
There are several reasons for the increase of HC emissions at low cold start temperatures, including the tendency for
fuel to be deposited on the cylinder walls, which is then displaced during the piston cycle and expunged during the
exhaust stroke. As the engine warms up through operation, the cylinder walls no longer retain a film of fuel and most
of the hydrocarbons will be burnt off during the combustion process.
The SAI pump is used to provide a supply of air into the exhaust ports in the cylinder head, onto the back of the
exhaust valves, during the cold start period. The hot unburnt fuel particles leaving the combustion chamber mix with
the air injected into the exhaust ports and immediately combust. This subsequent combustion of the unburnt and
partially burnt CO and HC particles help to reduce the emission of these pollutants from the exhaust system. The
additional heat generated in the exhaust manifold also provides rapid heating of the exhaust system catalytic
converters. The additional oxygen which is delivered to the catalytic converters also generate an exothermic reaction
which causes the catalytic converters to 'light off' quickly.
The catalytic converters only start to provide effective treatment of emission pollutants when they reach an operating
temperature of approximately 250C (482F) and need to be between temperatures of 400C (752F) and 800C
(1472F) for optimum efficiency. Consequently, the heat produced by the secondary air injection “afterburningâ€,
reduces the time delay before the catalysts reach an efficient operating temperature.
The engine control module (ECM) checks the engine coolant temperature when the engine is started, and if it is below
60º C (131F), the SAI pump is started. Secondary air injection will remain operational for a period controlled by the
ECM (76 seconds for NAS vehicles, 64 seconds for EU-3 vehicles). The SAI pump operation can be cut short due to
excessive engine speed or load.
Air from the SAI pump is supplied to the SAI control valves via pipework and an intermediate T-piece which splits the
air flow evenly to each bank.
At the same time the secondary air pump is started, the ECM operates a SAI vacuum solenoid valve, which opens to
allow vacuum from the reservoir to be applied to the vacuum operated SAI control valves on each side of the engine.
When the vacuum is applied to the SAI control valves, they open simultaneously to allow the air from the SAI pump
through to the exhaust ports. Secondary air is injected into the inner most exhaust ports on each bank.
When the ECM breaks the ground circuit to de-energise the SAI vacuum solenoid valve, the vacuum supply to the
SAI control valves is cut off and the valves close to prevent further air being injected into the exhaust manifold. At the
same time as the SAI vacuum solenoid valve is closed, the ECM opens the ground circuit to the SAI pump relay, to
stop the SAI pump.
A vacuum reservoir is included in the vacuum line between the intake manifold and the SAI vacuum solenoid valve.
This prevents changes in vacuum pressure from the intake manifold being passed on to cause fluctuations of the
secondary air injection solenoid valve. The vacuum reservoir contains a one way valve and ensures a constant
vacuum is available for the SAI vacuum solenoid valve operation. This is particularly important when the vehicle is at
high altitude.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Great feed back, where did you guys find that info, I looked around some and gave up?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Great feed back, where did you guys find that info, I looked around some and gave up?
http://www.northwestoverlandsociety....finitions.aspx

http://www.troublecodes.net/landrvr/

Old 02-05-2008, 08:58 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the info, guys....I'll keep an eye out for it to come on again and go from there!