Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1412 & P1415 codes + loud SAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1412 & P1415 codes + loud SAI

My SAI started sounding like a jet engine a few months ago, and I know thats usually caused blockage in the fan/pump unit. Instead of doing what i should have- clean it out and check all vacuum lines- I just let the problem keep happening. After a month or so of hearing the crazy noise during colder-day start-ups, The noise magically dissapeared! great i thought- maybe it was blockage in the lines that self-cleaned thought I. After all, I had never thrown a code.

Fast forward to a few days ago. After a month or so of noise-free start-ups and CEL free driving, the CEL came on. Turns out its codes p1412 and p1415.

I have to assume that by not addressing the SAI noise I probably fried the fan motor- why else would the sound have gone away?- and not just the loud noise, but I'm pretty sure the normal fan noise too. But why then did the codes wait until now to appear? Seems strange.

I checked all the lines going to and fro and they all appear fine.

Any help here is greatly appreciated. I don't want to just run out and buy a new SAI, but I fear its not going to be a cheap SAI vacuum solenoid.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

ok, so do you want the ice cream first, or the vegetables first.

Well considering there is no ice cream in this case, open wide for a couple spoonful's of broccoli.
The jet noise, was a problem with the sai system. You have quite effieciently fired the SAI pump. Yeap, gonna need one of those and a filter for the system. Which is why you have insufficent flow codes for both left and right banks.

Start with a filter, clear the codes. and put it through a few drive cycles. (drive cycles composes of varied types of driving over a 10 mile distance.) If the codes comes back up (which they probably will), you are gonna need a pump. If not, you lucked out and should be checking your filters more often.

Merry ChristmaHannauQuanzzahDon

Old 12-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Mudding

Thanks dgi! The filter you are referring to- is the one inside the SAI itself or the general air filter/cleaner?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Pro Wrench

No problem. The SAI pump has its own filter. If you have a copy of rave, search for SAI and a diagram will pop up complete with the filter assembly.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Mudding

Thanks. I'm guessing however that since the thing went from loud to silent indicates its dead- otherwise the loud noise would have continued no? Or is it possible the filter progressively plugged to the point where the fan got stuck, and is now stuck in stuck mode, only to free and spin again when the filter is cleared? I just cant see how, for that implies the fan would have over-worked itself trying to spin against a blockage over and over, causing fuses to blow or wires to melt kinda thing.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Pro Wrench

If you dont hear anything when you turn the car on now, then its definately dead. Time for a new one. If the filter is dirty enough, the pump can and will overwork itself to get your cats up to temp. Which is why when it started happening, the noise lasted longer and longer every time. Once its burned itself out (read stop making noise) it will never run again. Time for a new one. I can almost garantee once you open up the area for the filter, it will be either filthy or disintergrate. If it disintergrated, then it would burn up the pump as well.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Mudding

well that sucks but its what I expected. Any idea on who sells a cheap one? I'm a big fan of buying cheap parts off wrecks, but not sure of compatible years and worried that these things fail after 100k or so miles- seems to be commonplace. Maybe buy and test a used one, then service it by cleaning the filter and lubing the bearings?- like I should have done to mine! Do people actually go 150k++ without having to replace their SAI?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by tsuami1
I'm a big fan of buying cheap parts off wrecks, but not sure of compatible years and worried that these things fail after 100k or so miles- seems to be commonplace. Maybe buy and test a used one, then service it by cleaning the filter and lubing the bearings?- like I should have done to mine! Do people actually go 150k++ without having to replace their SAI?
If the system is maintained, can mileage can be indefinate. But that goes for any system. As far a buying a used one, thas a judgement call i cannot make. Some guys on here swear by used parts. Others are OEM or bust. Its whatever tickles your fancy without hurting your wallet. Im personally not a fan of most used parts due to you dont know their prior history or if it was maintained or not.