Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1415 and another potential issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:06 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1415 and another potential issue

My Disco is an 04 with a little over 46k miles. I've owned it since June of this year and put about 3,500 miles on during that time.

I went to Auto Zone last night on the way home from work to get a code read from the SES light that had been on for a couple of days. The code it read out was P1415. From reading threads today, it seems there are a number of possible issues. I cleared the code and will wait to see if it comes back. I'm also going to take a look at the vaccum hoses to see if something is not properly connected. Other than that, any ideas?

Now the real concern comes from some of the posts that I read last night regarding potential head gasket issues while I was researching this trouble code. My coolant was down a little, so I picked up a new bottle and topped off the resorvoir while I was at the auto parts store. It was still pretty dark when I left for work this AM, but the coolant level seemed to be okay. However, there was a little bit of white smoke after start-up. It DID NOT smell like coolant. I'm going to keep an eye on the coolant level, but is there anything else that I should do? There is no coolant smell in the engine compartment either.

One last question, if I wanted to get an accurate reading of the coolant temp one the engine is warmed up--what is the best way to do that?

Thanks again for all the help. This forum has been an amazing resource and learning tool.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the code-
P1415 Land Rover Secondary air system fault bank 2Drive cycle D:Signal implausible

Do you hear the SAI kick on when you start your truck in the morning? I would check the SAI pump and hoses. That would be my guess but maybe someone with more experience with that code will help out.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:12 AM
JAC
Three Wheeling

UPDATE:

Before I started up this morning, I checked the coolant level. It was down a little bit and there was some white smoke out of the exhaust. The white smoke lasted for about five-seven seconds and there was a bit of a rough idle.

The Disco has 46k miles. Isn't that a bit too soon for a head gasket issue?

Old 10-28-2009, 04:47 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling

UPDATE 2:

After leaving work this evening (vehicle sat for about 10 hours), I checked the coolant level. It was right at the full mark (same level it was after I added some this morning).

There was a few seconds of white smoke, but again no coolant smell. Also, after I parked at home I noticed a couple of translucent spots on the lower driver's side of the windshield.

I was going to have a pressure test done this evening, but there was no coolant loss. I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next couple days, but should I be doing anything else in the meantime.

Thanks for the help--and at least giving me somewhere to vent.