Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side AC is not cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 10:36 AM
Drifting
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Passenger side AC is not cold

I've searched the forum up and down on this one. Best I can guess is I've got a have a blend door that is broken off from the control servos and If I could just push it into position and have AC all the time that'd be perfectly acceptable. I purchased an AC recharge kit and it helped make my AC a little colder all around but the passenger side is still just recirculating air and not cooling it. I'm in Florida during record temps bit I'm pretty sure heat works over there which only adds to the confusion. I've dug through the rave but it's not super clear on the blend flaps as it pertains to AC and if I'm reading it correctly it looks like air is pushed over the AC evap coil at all times. I've been under the glove box and can see all the servos running and moving as I work through the temp range.

Anyone have any ideas? Most of the old threads just sort of trail off without a solution being found.

Old 08-28-2023, 12:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Since this system seemingly prioritizes the driver's side, you may want to get a set of gauges on it and see what's going on. Any deficiencies will probably show up as "colder air on driver's side" initially. My first advice would be the parts store recharge but since you've already done that it's possible that system performance is low for a reason other than a low charge. Gauges will give you more insight on how well it's functioning and if the problem is creating versus delivering the cold air.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:41 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab
Since this system seemingly prioritizes the driver's side, you may want to get a set of gauges on it and see what's going on. Any deficiencies will probably show up as "colder air on driver's side" initially. My first advice would be the parts store recharge but since you've already done that it's possible that system performance is low for a reason other than a low charge. Gauges will give you more insight on how well it's functioning and if the problem is creating versus delivering the cold air.
yep, low charge will present as the PS side being warmer. Have it recharged with UV dye and check for leaks. Charging ports, Conpressor, and condenser are the usual suspects.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:35 PM
Drifting
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys, I guess getting the system checked is the next step. I've been driving it for two months and it had sat for like six months before I bought so I don't think there are an leaks. The rear air is cold as well. Just the PS side that feels like is just recirculating the cabin air.

Any advice on what to look for when I put a set of gauges on it? I'm guessing just make sure the pressures are all in spec?

Old 08-31-2023, 12:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Yes, you can learn all about the voodoo on youtube. If the pressures are correct then perhaps blend door or some other part of the delivery system is bad. I would consider having an AC shop do a diag as long as it's about $50 or so. Having someone who does this for a living check it out is worth that kind of money as opposed to learning it on your own truck. Some places won't do that, they'll want to recover, vacuum and service whatever is broken. In your case you simply want them to confirm the pressures are correct, not figure out why they aren't should that be the case. This will point you toward the correct path.