Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of an exploded Joint that destroyed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unimoged
This is a clever idea and I am sure it will work.

On the other hand, I have been looking at building a drive shaft with a CV joint that will do a better job than the double cardan joint and it will require no grease since a CV joint has a boot that encases the joint and keeps the grease inside.
You build one and Ill buy it.Even though I just rebuilt mine everytime I get on the highway or accelerate hard I get nervous.Nitetrain is on the money $1700 is a great deal.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Mudding

Working on it, since we have machine shop capabilities. The BMW X5 and the Range Rover III use a CV joint versus a double cardan. Will have to test for articulation, since the differentials on both are fixed to the sub-frame.

Check these pics out, showing CV joints in use:

Attached Thumbnails Pictures of an exploded Joint that destroyed transmission-rr-2002.jpg   Pictures of an exploded Joint that destroyed transmission-bmw-x5.jpg  
Old 02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
DII with 80k miles for $1,700 and some elbow grease..not bad at all! way to go man.
By the way, prices on the DIIs have been going up since gas is remaining under 3 Dollars a gallon.

More surprising, the 2003 DIIs with the oil pump issue have not dropped in value.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Man, this all seems so familiar....

Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by unimoged
By the way, prices on the DIIs have been going up since gas is remaining under 3 Dollars a gallon.
For a long time I've believed the resale value of our rovers is closely tied to the price of gas. If it ever goes back to a $1/gal we'll all be rich! (of course we all have the same chance of winning the lottery on the same day as gas going back to $1/gal)

Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
For a long time I've believed the resale value of our rovers is closely tied to the price of gas. If it ever goes back to a $1/gal we'll all be rich! (of course we all have the same chance of winning the lottery on the same day as gas going back to $1/gal)
Well it is not far fetched, with the way things are mis-managed in Washington. Will probably get back to 30 - 40 dollars a barrel this year.

It costs our dear friends in the Arabian peninsula between 9 and 11 dollars a barrel in large established oil wells and between 15 to 19 in smaller more difficult wells.

So, they can still buy their Bugatti Veyrons at 2 M USD a pop and make money at 30 to 40 dollars a barrel.

I wish I had the space to buy and keep every single orphaned DI and DII and RR I come across because all they can do is go up in value.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:48 PM
8th Gear

Looking to replace my front drive shaft and I was looking through old threads. This conversation about gas prices made me laugh. I just filled my DII with premium gas for $1.46/gal. Some of these guys are prophets....

Old 01-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I've got a 2002 D2 with 165k. Just greased the fittings. Can someone please tell me what to go look for to know if front shaft is at risk? Something about a double grease fitting? Peace of mind kind of thing. :-)

Old 01-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieb
I've got a 2002 D2 with 165k. Just greased the fittings. Can someone please tell me what to go look for to know if front shaft is at risk? Something about a double grease fitting? Peace of mind kind of thing. :-)
Land Rover Discovery II Drive Shaft Replacements

Click the link.
4 grease nipples

Old 01-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Land Rover Discovery II Drive Shaft Replacements

Click the link.
4 grease nipples
OK. We did already replace a U-joint last year. It was rusted out and squealing. I'll look at the shaft to check for 4-nipples. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Pictures of an exploded Joint that destroyed transmission