Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help asap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help asap!!!

Something really screwy started a week or so ago. Got in the 1999 Disco II ond it was completely dead! The only thing you could see was the SRS red light and it was dim. So I hooked up the battery charger and away it went. Only to just die about 30 seconds later, but then I was able to start it right away and away we went.

Since this occurence it was fine for probably 4 days then it was completely dead one minute you try to start it, wait 20 seconds and it comes to life! this afternoon it was the worst I just got it to start after the wife had tried for a half hour.

Tonight I would open the drivers door and you could hear the indicator ticking but no indicators were flashing, and the indicator was neither in the left or right position, but as the sound came the interior lightflashed!! ITS POSSESSED!!! AND I NEED HELP! Anyone ever encounter this before???

Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be an alternator or battery? Check your battery volts with a volt meter. Should be 13.6 or around that. Better yet, take it to auto zone and they can check the alternator and battery for free. If its your alternator do not buy one from auto zone. They are made with cheap Chinese parts that have a high failure rate.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Could be bad connections. They will have a mind of their own, can be temperature sensitive. Take both battery cables off and scrub with a metal brush inside and out until they are kissable. While battery cables are off, open underhood fusebox. See the big wires in the front, remove and scrub them as well, re-install. Look at fuse links for corrosion, loose screws or bolts, etc.

With battery cables back on and tight, truck NOT running, read across for battery volts. Should be like 12.6 or better. Turn on head lights, volts should go down, but not past 11.5. A big drop means a weak cell in the battery, buy new battery.

Crank truck - volts should come up to 13.8 - 14.4, keep turning on more electrical things an it may get down to 13.25. Being able to bring up a discharged battery is a good sign, the ability to still supply charging voltage with all devices on is also good.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 fuse box.pdf (401.2 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-17-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i 2nd the checking of connections. also inspect as best you can to see if corrosion has made it up into the cable. if they look like crap, just replace them, cheap and easy job.
jon

Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to charge the battery over night, then go to your local parts store and have them do a complete, free, charging system test. The voltage must be between 13.6 and 14.4. If your battery is dead make sure to buy one with a CCA rating of 800 or above.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

When my battery died, it just died with no warning signs. I drove the truck to work w/ no issues and got back into it after work and it wouldn't start. I couldn't even jump start the battery. Went to Advanced Auto and bought a yellow top. Viola!

Oh yeah! be warned that the alarm will probably go off when hooking up the new battery. Mine did, scared the hell out of me!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by coors
When my battery died, it just died with no warning signs. I drove the truck to work w/ no issues and got back into it after work and it wouldn't start. I couldn't even jump start the battery. Went to Advanced Auto and bought a yellow top. Viola!

Oh yeah! be warned that the alarm will probably go off when hooking up the new battery. Mine did, scared the hell out of me!
Oh good I'm not the only one with a pair of browns pants

Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Mudding

I had that happen when I got mine. Was battery cable connections.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Drifting

I'm sorry to jump in late on this but just wanted to suggest for cleaning battery connectors / ground straps and anything sort of corroded or rusted. You can use a product called Metal Ready... it's step # 2 in the POR 15 paint process and its Phosphoric acid I think (it's a blue liquid).

I had the same problem with my 79 VW Van where I thought it was my alternator so but it ended up being my battery ground strap... disconnected all cables, ground straps etc... put them in a bucket of this blue magic liquid next day everything is sparkling fresh and has worked like a charm since

Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Snake oil you say? A real IBEW guy will strip it with his teeth and clinch a new connector on with one bite of his mighty jaws, well muscled from years of RedMan....

What ever works for people, clean and tight, or you'll be walkin' tonite...