Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me out. Coolant questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 03:39 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me out. Coolant questions.

Thank you in advance for shedding any light towards my way.

Scenario:
2004 Landrover Discovery 2 HSE

Project-Coolant Flush

Yesterday I flushed the system. After hours of googling info/ youtube videos and reading the RAV I am stumped.

So the specs in manual and RAV say the coolant refill
⇒ Refill 24.2 pt
⇒ Fill from dry 26.2 pt

RAV manual instructions:

Fast forward to step 8 (refill)
8. Remove expansion tank from its mounting
bracket. Slowly fill the expansion tank with
coolant, approx. 4 litres (7 pt)

9. Raise the expansion tank approx. 20 cm (8 in)
vertically, coolant will drain into the system.
10. Refill the coolant expansion tank until a steady
flow of coolant is emitted from the bleed hole.

So I have completed what is described. What about the remaining 17.2pts? After pouring 1 gal with overfill tank elevated coolant is already flush with bleed hole. Im trying to add more coolant to reach the 24.2 target as stated with refill specs. Scratching my head here in confusion.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

That procedure sucks.

I park mine on a STEEP hill, turn on the heat, and let it idle. Check with the bleed screw. Monitor the temp with an Ultra Gauge and you can usually notice the improvement.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by nwtrek
Thank you in advance for shedding any light towards my way.

Scenario:
2004 Landrover Discovery 2 HSE

Project-Coolant Flush

Yesterday I flushed the system. After hours of googling info/ youtube videos and reading the RAV I am stumped.

So the specs in manual and RAV say the coolant refill
⇒ Refill 24.2 pt
⇒ Fill from dry 26.2 pt

RAV manual instructions:

Fast forward to step 8 (refill)
8. Remove expansion tank from its mounting
bracket. Slowly fill the expansion tank with
coolant, approx. 4 litres (7 pt)

9. Raise the expansion tank approx. 20 cm (8 in)
vertically, coolant will drain into the system.
10. Refill the coolant expansion tank until a steady
flow of coolant is emitted from the bleed hole.

So I have completed what is described. What about the remaining 17.2pts? After pouring 1 gal with overfill tank elevated coolant is already flush with bleed hole. Im trying to add more coolant to reach the 24.2 target as stated with refill specs. Scratching my head here in confusion.
Did you remove the block drains? If not, it will not take the full amount.

The following users liked this post:
nwtrek (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

If you only drained by pulling bottom hose of radiator & took off T-stat from hose that goes toward engine, if you are lucky you drained about 6.25 qt,,
(If you dont take out engine block drains, which most of us don't) just connect hoses back & fill system with distiled water let it run to operating temp, then let it cool off & drain, & repeat few times until you see it's diluted enough that looks like you only have water in system,, then for last time drain & fill it with straight %100 coolant, (not 50/50),,, it will take 6 to 6.25 qt of full strength coolant & will give you aprox %50 coolant & distiller water mix in system,, then for further bleeding you can use a 50/50 mix of coolant & add to reservoir to bleed it & get rid of remaining air,, after bleeding run to get it to operating temp & park truck nose up (front wheels at least a foot higher than rear) & let it cool down completely,,, if you hear waterfall sound from under dash, repeat last step of parking it nose up after hot & let it cool off,, that will get rid of air which is usually trapped in heater core & makes waterfall sound,,, & use "GREEN coolant" not Dexcool,,, you will have less problems with Green coolant,,,

The following users liked this post:
nwtrek (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:31 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the feedback. I read enough bad things about the dex cool to go green this time around. Appreciate the help. Couldn't find any Land Rover XLC coolant. Since head gaskets failure is always in my mind and dex cool seems to agitate certain gasket types maybe by switching to green I can get more miles out of the current gasket.

Also If anyone is reading this because you are thinking about flushing your system be very careful with the plastic bleeder screw. Doesn't take much to break if you over tighten it even a tad. Just as I was feeling proud of my tackling the coolant flush and calling it a day....Land Rover Gods decided I needed to break another part (bleeder screw) . Always learning.

Other than that, I love my LR