Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plenum Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 04:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plenum Gasket

I recently smoked my engine and found leaks close to the head. After speaking to my rover expert and sending him video of the leak, he diagnosed the leak as the plenum...instead of the head gasket thank god. I am looking for instructions on how to complete the repair, and cannot find anything other than upper intake manifold vids. Has anyone done this repair and have steps for completion?

Old 07-31-2020, 05:29 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

@Abigail Galloway there are several gaskets involved :

Upper intake
Lower intake
The 2 halves of the upper intake
Several vacuum lines
Secondary air connections if your Disco has SAI

Can you be more specific on what was leaking, excepting the lower they are all easy and the lower is more fiddly than hard and requires dumping your coolant

Old 07-31-2020, 05:53 PM
Overlanding

I already replaced the upper intake manifold gasket. This may sound stupid, but I am no mechanic so I figure I’ll just ask. The plenum is different than the upper intake manifold gasket?

Old 07-31-2020, 06:24 PM

@Abigail Galloway nope not stupid on your part at all, the problem is they use multiple terms for the same part. We call both upper and lower manifold, a but the upper is also called the plenum.

Technically the plenum is the front bit of teh upper intake where the breather lines and throttle body connect. If you look at your upper intake you will see it is actually 2 pieces.

I would start simple re-torque the bolts they are pretty light and one may have loosened a bit.

The bit at the lower left is what the RAVE calls the plenum

Old 08-20-2020, 07:12 PM
Overlanding
Default Intake Manifold Valley Gasket

So this gasket ended up being the Intake Manifold Valley Gasket....one I have not replaced yet. I have no idea how to complete the repair, and am looking for information on the process from anyone that can help. Looking to complete this repair beginning of September. Picture of gasket below, any help is appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Plenum Gasket-img_8105.heic.jpeg  
Old 08-20-2020, 07:31 PM

@Abigail Galloway Hopefully you have a copy of the RAVE pages 30-2-12 to 30-2-15 covers it. But start a new thread for replacing the valley pan gasket, it is not hard just fiddly.

A couple of things:
  1. Your ac compressor will fit in the air filter box no need to disconnect any hoses
  2. You may want to do your fuel injectors or fuel injector o-rings while you are in there
  3. 1 tube of Black RTV is required
  4. You need to drain the cooling system if your coolant is new you capture it and reuse
  5. You may need an oil change if any crud get into the valley
  6. Be VERY careful with that gasket it is easy to crease it -which makes fitting a real pain
  7. Make sure to cover the center area once the old gasket is is out so no crap gets in to the engine oil.

This is what it looks like after you get everything clear. That area in the center with push rods has to covered up when you clean up the gasket mating surfaces