Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting and Polishing Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 11:36 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

I wouldn't want to pay that, but considering the R&D and overhead, vs a low demand, I'm suprised they aren't more.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I wouldn't want to pay that, but considering the R&D and overhead, vs a low demand, I'm suprised they aren't more.
True. The cost to develop is significant, poor bastids.

The flip side is that these are cheap and common bolt on parts that can be added simply with the motor still in these Disco 2s... which means that you can grab some $40 exhaust headers from your local pullapart junkyard, port them and tunnel into/through their pathways, and try different combinations at any time to see what gives your motor the most pulling power.

Oh no, you screwed up a $40 part. No one's gonna cry.

So, you get your motor rebuilt and installed and you drive around to test your setup, then you experiment with $40 junkyard headers that you've hollowed out in various ways later.

You can always go back to your stock headers. No real downside and not any real $ at risk.

Plus, exhaust headers don't have to impact your rebuild and reinstall schedule so they don't keep your Disco off of the road longer waiting on exotic parts to arrive, etc.

You just add them later after your Disco 2 is back on the road.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:20 PM
TReK

Yeah, I plan to add them later.
Have spent wayyy more than I planned already...cause that never happens, lol

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 03:09 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Yeah, I plan to add them later.
Have spent wayyy more than I planned already...cause that never happens, lol
I figure that I will at least port match the manifolds, and get something for my efforts, but maybe these Aussies will come thru, who knows.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:27 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I figure that I will at least port match the manifolds, and get something for my efforts, but maybe these Aussies will come thru, who knows.
I'm looking forward to hearing if you can get them...and what total shipped would be.

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (04-30-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 08:11 AM
TReK

I'm looking forward to hearing if you can get them...and what total shipped would be.
No luck. There are some on Ebay, but you cannot email the seller.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Got a link to the listing? I'm kinda curious.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by No Doubt
True. The cost to develop is significant, poor bastids.

The flip side is that these are cheap and common bolt on parts that can be added simply with the motor still in these Disco 2s... which means that you can grab some $40 exhaust headers from your local pullapart junkyard, port them and tunnel into/through their pathways, and try different combinations at any time to see what gives your motor the most pulling power.

Oh no, you screwed up a $40 part. No one's gonna cry.

So, you get your motor rebuilt and installed and you drive around to test your setup, then you experiment with $40 junkyard headers that you've hollowed out in various ways later.

You can always go back to your stock headers. No real downside and not any real $ at risk.

Plus, exhaust headers don't have to impact your rebuild and reinstall schedule so they don't keep your Disco off of the road longer waiting on exotic parts to arrive, etc.

You just add them later after your Disco 2 is back on the road.

You could grind on stock manifolds, and increase their flow, but it will not be nearly as big of an improvement as quality headers.
The real benefit of headers is having 4 tubes that are different lengths, and designed so that as one cylinder's exhaust gas comes through it's tube, and gets to the collector(where the 4 tubes meet), that the next cylinder's escaping exhaust gas, as well as the next 2, all get to the collector at the correct time.
So that one exhaust pulse pushes the next out, and the flow is smooth and consistant, no bottle necking that causes excess back pressure.
That's why good headers are actually "tuned" for a specific engine. Like most things, timing is everything.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:41 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Got a link to the listing? I'm kinda curious.
Here you go. I can't get any real info on them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...53.m1438.l2649

I am going to source some good manifolds that have all the stud holes intact so I can get a good install, then port match them.

in the future, when I learn how to weld I will take on headers, high flow Cats etc.

At least I can get the exhaust not to hit a 2mm lip directly out of the head. On mine you can absolutely see the carbon just building up and creating less flow.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 AM
TReK

That looks like a single header for the turbo diesel 4 cylinder, not a pair for a v8.
I emailed them too, maybe they'll answer one of us.

Quick Reply: Porting and Polishing Experience