Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positive voltage on negative battery cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:16 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive voltage on negative battery cable

With the negative battery cable disconnected, and the positive cable connected, I'm measuring positive 12.6V battery voltage between the negative battery cable and the negative terminal on the battery.
Yes, the multimeter works, and I didn't have the probes reversed. I also measured 6 ohms resistance between the disconnected negative battery cable, and the fusible link (with both positive cables removed).

I think there must be a short someplace, but I haven't been able to find it.

The vehicle was running normally until the alternator stopped charging the battery. I installed a new alternator, then noticed this situation.

Where should I look, and what should I check?

Old 04-01-2020, 06:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

If you want to be sure, use a test light instead of a multimeter. You're probably getting transient voltage in the low milliamp range. Nothing that would power anything, but it would show up on DMM.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear

I don't have a test light, so I used a turn signal bulb, a couple wires with alligator clips, and multimeter to measure current. I connected one side of the light bulb to the negative battery cable, and the other side to the multimeter positive probe, multimeter negative probe connected to the battery negative terminal.

When I first connect it, bulb lights up brightly, then gets dimmer. Multimeter shows 330mA when first connected, then fades to 250mA and stays steady. Same fading behavior from light bulb if the multimeter is not in the circuit.

So that's around 3W of drain. Seems odd. Is that enough to be worried about?

Old 04-01-2020, 07:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

It is neither surprising nor alarming that your multimeter is reading volts between the negative battery cable and the negative battery terminal. There are systems that are always active, even when the truck is not running and the key is removed from the ignition switch. The BCU is one example. And if you listen carefully in a quiet place the ABS module makes noise.

The question should be about amps, not volts. Switch your multimeter to read amps and see how much current is being drawn with all systems off.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 07:30 PM
3rd Gear

With the multimeter connected between the negative battery cable and the negative battery terminal, it's measuring 350mA.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

I don't remember for certain but that sounds in the normal range.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
And if you listen carefully in a quiet place the ABS module makes noise.
OK, this makes me feel so relived, I was recently out on a forest service campsite, it was super quiet and I could hear a faint buzzing coming from each wheel, which I figured had to be related to the braking system (or I was going crazy). Is this a cause for concern or just another facet of the Discovery 2 “character”?

Old 04-02-2020, 04:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Gaddis
With the negative battery cable disconnected, and the positive cable connected, I'm measuring positive 12.6V battery voltage between the negative battery cable and the negative terminal on the battery.
This is totally normal, since all the devices connected to the battery have no infinite internal resistance to their ground points (leakage of electronic components) and the voltmeter has very high internal resistance (my multimeter has 10 MOhm).

Originally Posted by Chris Gaddis
With the multimeter connected between the negative battery cable and the negative battery terminal, it's measuring 350mA.
This is totally normal too. When you switch to amps, the multimeter has very low internal resistance. When measuring you connect the battery again through the ammeter.