Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to fit better brake componets from a different model/make?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I still think that this is an area of the aftermarket that is missing for the Discovery given owners penchants for installing bigger tires and adding weight to our trucks.

I did more or less what you're thinking about to my 1976 Moto Guzzi. Added 4 pot Brembo Calipers from a Ducati, Brembo floating drilled rotors, upgraded pads and a new master cylinder. I can peel the rubber off my tires with my brakes as configured, which is how I like it.

Big Brake kits are also really popular with the VW Westfalia crowd. Another massively heavy vehicle where the laws of physics become unkind when you need to stop in a hurry.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Quite a few LR parts are interchangeable like RR P38, D1 to D2 but IMO there are little differences. Most servo assisted brakes feel sqidgy and once the ABS kicks in it's all down to tires whether you stop or not. Yep you can fir Brembo or AP calipers and rotors+pads but they only stop wheel rotation until the ABS takes over and unless you're running sticky winter tires or top quality highway tires it's all academic. AT or MT tires are cr@p on tarmac by comparison to high performance tires designed for tarmac. The best tarmac tyre I often use is the Goodyear Eagle F1 which takes some real beating but isn't good offroad but has lots of adhesion for braking and cornering on tarmac. Horses for courses like brakes and stopping, the ABS limit is king coupled with good rubber. I only use tarmac tires on my LR's and the RRS and to some extent the D2 can be driven like a 'go kart' on good rubber and good stock brakes IMO everything else is a myth.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

And, as I noted above, the brake feel is going to be MUCH better with the SS lines. I would install them and then evaluate the situation.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms
And, as I noted above, the brake feel is going to be MUCH better with the SS lines. I would install them and then evaluate the situation.
x1 agreed or new stock lines.

The following users liked this post:
DustyLBottoms (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the first things I did to my D2 was to add some better brakes. Made a huge difference over the stock brakes that were on it.
With this setup, I do not feel like I need any more braking power.

Name:  20141025_181051.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  1.77 MB

Name:  20141026_15381_edit_1414359990662.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  1.11 MB

Came with everything to do all 4 corners. Purchased from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291240229324...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by adventr; 11-07-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by adventr
One of the first things I did to my D2 was to add some better brakes. Made a huge difference over the stock brakes that were on it.
We're not talking pads and rotors. Most people complaining about brakes on these things have already installed upgraded pads and rotors, as well as stainless steel hoses. We're looking for better calipers and master cylinders.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by adventr

Came with everything to do all 4 corners. Purchased from here:

Front Rear Performance Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads Fits Discovery | eBay
Confused what you mean by better? Like, they were better after an hour on the track? Slotted and drilled rotors are no better, and actually worse than stock brakes.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
We're not talking pads and rotors. Most people complaining about brakes on these things have already installed upgraded pads and rotors, as well as stainless steel hoses. We're looking for better calipers and master cylinders.

Ok, I get it.

I'm curious what you guys are using your rovers for, in order to feel like you need to upgrade the brakes?

Old 11-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Confused what you mean by better? Like, they were better after an hour on the track? Slotted and drilled rotors are no better, and actually worse than stock brakes.

Better as in all-around better, in my opinion. Much better bite than the original brake parts that were on the rover when I got it. Once bedded in, they engage the ABS from a 60mph panic stop. Not sure what more you could ask from brakes on one of these rigs.

Just for reference, my D2 stops better than the FZJ80 landcruisers I've owned in the past.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

How old were the stock pieces on the Rover when you got it? I think the D2 has a perfectly fine braking system, and have locked up my 33s for 15-20 feet on dry pavement with stock equipment.

Drilled/slotted rotors are really designed for high-heat applications, that's where they shine. Stock vs. drilled/slotted should stop nearly identical under any braking that's not been overheated.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to fit better brake componets from a different model/make?