Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post- Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Post- Head Gasket

Call me quickly.
303-862-7680

Old 03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm trying to call you from both my cell phone and business phone and it doesn't ring at all. Just dead sound ....

Old 03-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't start or move the truck.Your truck should have been good to go when you pickeditup, it certainly shouldn't have needed two gallons of water/coolant.You should call the shop and have them tow itback. What kind of warranty did they give? $800 seems pretty cheap for the work you had done. Let's hope it's not a case of "to good to be true". Best of luck to you.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Mudding

Went to his shop (which is closed today) and told him exactly what I said here (except I told him I towed it home, since we own a tow company) and he told me it's the 'thermostat' and another land rover owner here also has white smoke from the exhaust coming out because of the stainless steel exhaust ?

I think he's just gonna replace the thermostat and try to blow me off .....

If it is a cracked block (originally) or cracked intake , it's not his fault is it ?

Old 03-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Mudding

this is after it completely warmed up to operating temperature, let it run for 20 mins (took 5 mins to warm up, started excellent, no gurgle sound in heater core, until it almost warmed up, then it came back and dissapeared altogether) after letting it run I checked the resevoir and no coolant missing (did same thing before, coolant would 'only' be missing if we drove it .. higher load on the engine)

Old 03-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Mudding

Ok called and left you a voicemail.

I am warming up the vehicle and my wife is going to drive it around the block a few times and put it under load, and see if it is

A: losing coolant into cylinders again (cracked intake - cracked block ? )
B: not losing coolant and the white smoke out the exhaust is just condensation.

As I type these she just drove by me doing 25-30 and is smoking white out the exhaust just like in the pictures, maybe a little less since she's moving..

And no other car behind or in front of her is doing the same thing .....

Is that from condensation that built up in the cat, from when the head gasket blew before ? and the steam got trapped in there and puddled ?

Old 03-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you just had the heads done, take the 2 hoses going to your intake and put them together using a metal nipple and hose clamps. If your t-body is leaking into your intake for some reason, seems logical is would go into the 2 center cylinders on the drivers side. Path of least resistance....

If it is humid outside, and you just had the heads done, it might benormal to blow off a little condesation. Mine does it too, and I don't have any coolant loss.

When you dumped your coolant, are you sure where it went? Have the whole system pressure tested after bypassing the throttle body heater.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Mudding

Excellent advice on the throttle body part, I thought it was a joined unit and not seperate.

I am going to go get a coolant test (at seperate shop) for free and if it says it's leaking somewhere, i'll do that throttle body bypass, and see if it stops....

If it stops i'm still in the dirt, but not as deep because intakes are not as expensive as re-sleeving...

appreciate the advice very much !

Old 03-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you droppeda liner, you are done. Need a new short block.

Another thing, with the rough idle, if you are getting random misfires while driving, you coule have a couple of bent valves the shop missed.... just a thought.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Mudding

Now would the hoses you are referring to be on the driver's side past the MAF sensor, underneath ??

Or are you referring to the thermostat and another hose ?

Quick Reply: Post- Head Gasket