Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential D1/D2 Buyer here - need help on some specifics please

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 06:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Now if I do decide to go with a D2, i understand there are maybe 2 eras of D2? 99-02, 03 and 04? Aside from the headlights/front end (which i admittedly really like on the 03/04) are there any other pros/cons between the pre facelift and post facelift D2?
No other major differences. The quality of the headlights and tail lights is a fair bit better in the '99-'02s. Headlights are glass and the tail lights are a much better plastic vs that of the '03-'04s. You will not find an '03-'04 without cracked tail lights today, and no replacements are manufactured. That said, I am still partial to the facelifted D2s.

Does the pre facelift D2 (i think i read it comes without sunroofs?) also have ABS/TC/HDC? is it only the 03/04 that has those features? I would REALLY like at least ABS, and traction control and hill descent would be kinda nice as bonus, not super fussed about the ACE/air bags. It's not too hard to swap the facelift D2 headlights/front end to a pre facelift D2? I think I read the 03 doesnt have the center diff lock linkage, but the 04 does? Any other major differences pros/cons?
Correct on the CDL. As for HDC/TC/ABS, all D2s from '99-'04 had those.

are there fixes for leaking sunroofs aside from replacing the whole unit? is it a weather tripping issue or clogged sunroof drains? why do they leak? I would prefer the nice big sun roofs but if they are really prone to leaking and there is no fix i will abstain i think.
Thanks!
The drains are the issue, but it requires dropping the headliner to clear them and the barb that the hose slides onto is notorious for breaking. Poor quality plastics are also notorious on Disco 2s.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:13 PM
TReK
Received 556 Likes on 482 Posts

I’m pretty sure that LR has never sold a diesel vehicle anywhere in North America.

Old 05-01-2022, 11:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks like I got my wires crossed and its true that LR never sold D2 TD5 in Canada but you might be able to import one (check your local laws & regulations, blah, blah, blah) for less than a bmw diesel swap.

Old 05-01-2022, 12:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@gecko951 you can import a Spanish LHD D2 to Canada without issue - BUT it will run you about $16000 last time I checked about 13000 for an 04 and 3000 for shipping - and they are pretty much all manual transmission

Old 05-01-2022, 04:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

You guys are killing my dream of moving to CA for the beautiful women, free healthcare and diesel Land Rovers!

Next stop, AU or SA?

Old 05-01-2022, 09:51 PM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Just come to Europe, we have plenty TD5's and next to none V8. And we like them manual.

Wouldn't mind having a V8 as a sunday drive tho, but definately as a manual.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:09 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really considering moving to europe! I would absolutely love to have access to the vehicle selection out there! I'm working on getting my italian citizenship, so might be an Eu pass holder soon enough. Always wanted to travel there, so figure might as well do it as a citizen! Who knows i might just stay, haha. Lots of good health care in europe too i hear :P

Old 05-02-2022, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Having had D1 and D2 ... I'd get a D2 without question. Better driving experience, better looking, less rust issues.

Good god do not get a P38

Old 05-02-2022, 04:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Having had D1 and D2 ... I'd get a D2 without question. Better driving experience, better looking, less rust issues.

Good god do not get a P38

i don't know. i've had all three, a D1, a D2 (several actually) and a P38.

i'd buy and drive any of them again.

D1 and D2 will go anywhere. ****ing mountain goats.

the P38 on air is just a pleasure to drive.

all three are fairly simple and easy to work on.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

A couple additional observations after some very good input:

- You mention a “tall” family. How many and how tall? I’m 6’7” and I fit like a glove. Headroom is great and leg room is just enough- if maybe a scoshe small, but I’ve done many multi thousand mile trips in D2s and not been torn up from it. The back seats are good ish. 6’+ and you start to get tight. And if you get a 7 seater, small kids only- I sat back there once and it took me a few minutes to get in and out. The second row is best for kids to teens (who aren’t apes). Front seats are heaven. Lumbar support can be adjusted and they rock for long drives and not having a step over to get in is wonderful. The steering column doesn’t adjust as much as I’d like, and I have to get in with my right leg first to get under the wheel, but after you get the entry drill down, it’s not hard at all and easier than my lifted Jeep (with a step over), or my S4 (just friggin low).

- How good are you at wrenching and how hard core is the off road you are planning? A D1 is more simple but parts are getting harder. A D2 is still pretty old, but parts are easy to get. I ask about wrenching because although they are wonderful machines that can be made to be very reliable, and are quite robust for off road, they are still a relationship. This is not a Toyota or even a Jeep, and it will take time to learn the platform and perform the work. It took me a year to get my last D2 right, and I ended up selling it because the boss was tired of all the time I spent on it.

The off road part gets into straight up dimensions. Are you rock crawling, mud, desert? I’m assuming rocks if you want 33-35” tires. The longer overhang and overall dimensions can make the D2 a bit more to handle than a D1. I’ve seen videos of both D1 and D2 on the Rubicon, but it’s slow going and damage certainly occurs. Also, take into consideration those size tires, the gears required, and probably lockers, and I’d start to get concerned on skinny pedal application.

- Diesel conversion. We have an OM617 powered G Wagen, so I can see the affinity for the power a diesel delivers. However, drive a D2 in 4 low and you’ll see that engine (4.0 or 4.6) has similar torque delivery and smoothness characteristics. In my opinion, it’s really not worth it, unless you don’t mind this being a long term project. Plus with diesel fuel costs being where they are, and the time it would take to adapt something- even a Rover TDi- it’s too much effort.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (05-06-2022)