Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential New Owner ~ Need Help and Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well thats good to know. I found a couple on Ebay, looks like about $300-$400 for a new rebuilt one with greasable joints.

So basically, the 2 major things to look out for on the D2 is the front propshaft and the heads leaking, correct? The other stuff is minor fixable sensors and wires it seems. Other than that they are pretty sound?

Also, I know they all take premium gas. Is that what most of you run? I have a hard time beleiving that most "average" owners actually put premium in there. Although I have no issue using it, and I likely would just for the extra power.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Optimus
Ok well thats good to know. I found a couple on Ebay, looks like about $300-$400 for a new rebuilt one with greasable joints.

So basically, the 2 major things to look out for on the D2 is the front propshaft and the heads leaking, correct? The other stuff is minor fixable sensors and wires it seems. Other than that they are pretty sound?

Also, I know they all take premium gas. Is that what most of you run? I have a hard time beleiving that most "average" owners actually put premium in there. Although I have no issue using it, and I likely would just for the extra power.
Optimus...rebuilding the driveshaft is way cheaper; you will need 3 greasable u-joints and a centering ball kit. The whole job should cost $175-$200 max w/parts at your local drive line shop.

As far as running premium...it has nothing to do with power...these engines are aluminum and run very hot...premium burns at a lower temperature...I can pretty much say with confidence that everyone on this thread runs premium.

Go for it...you will not regret buying one if you keep up the maintenance...classic style on-road and excellent off-road prowess even stock.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
Optimus...rebuilding the driveshaft is way cheaper; you will need 3 greasable u-joints and a centering ball kit. The whole job should cost $175-$200 max w/parts at your local drive line shop.

As far as running premium...it has nothing to do with power...these engines are aluminum and run very hot...premium burns at a lower temperature...I can pretty much say with confidence that everyone on this thread runs premium.

Go for it...you will not regret buying one if you keep up the maintenance...classic style on-road and excellent off-road prowess even stock.
Mwindth is rite on the money.Imo I would go for a 00 or 01 because of the cdl option.You can also find a pretty nice used one at a good price.I paid $4500 for mine and dumped another 2k in it so far and its worth every penny.