Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Power Steering leak

I'm leaving this forum and have deleted all my work in this thread.

Last edited by Jared9220; 03-17-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Power wash you pump and hoses and then watch to find out where the leak is coming from.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And sometimes you can use paper towel or napkin (very absorbent) and wipe down areas you can touch, but are hidden from view (underside of a hose, etc.). Fresh fluid is different color than road kill sludge. Inspection mirror on a stick is also handy. Then there is always Lucas tranny stopz leekz.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

In this case, the All Makes p/s pump is pretty good.
I would power scrub the entire pump are and then replace the hose and be done with it.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you changed the pump did you replace the silly factory hose clamp?

Old 11-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In my case I had a line coming from the resevoir that was slightly damaged and hidden by an overtightened hose clamp. With the clamp off you could see the crack in the line. With the clamp installed, you could not see it. New lines and all new fluid finally did the trick. I am happy to have a new pump installed- but actually didn't need one. It was diag'd incorrectly.
Good luck, you are in the home stretch!!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Thanks for the advice guys. I went up to Auto Zone and got a bottle of the Lucas Power Steering leak stop and on the way home stopped at the car wash and power washed everything. I was able to get almost all of the old oil stains and dirt off so that should help find the leak. The leak is so small and slow that I'll have to wait a few hours and go out there and look for the leak later. I pumped enough power steering fluid out of the reservoir to put 1 full bottle of stop leak in. The Stop Leak is a red color like transmission fluid so that may also help find the leak if it doesn't stop it completely.

Fingers crossed that the leak is small enough for the stop leak to fix.
Lucas, although a great product for internal leaks, will not correct an external leak.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Administrator

A p/s leak is what you have, Lucas is, as I have already mentioned for internal leakage inside the pump or gear box seals

Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
I have been trying to stop a power steering leak I have for the past week with no luck. I first noticed the leak in the morning when I came out into the garage and saw a small pool of power steering fluid on the ground. I cleaned everything up and and found that it looked like it was dripping down from the pump onto the reservoir hose and down the gear box. The first thing I did was buy a new pump. I installed it and bleed the system and it seemed to work. The pump was super quite while turning and I didn't see any drips or leaks. when I went to leave the next morning I found another pool of fluid under the car. I looked under the car and to looked like fluid was still dripping off of the reservoir to pump hose and down onto the steering box. I ordered a new hose and when I took the old one off to put the new one on the old hose looked fine. After getting everything back together once again I had no leaks and it ran and sounded great. When I woke up to leave for work the next morning there was another pool of fluid.

I have never had so much trouble trying to find where a leak is coming from. The car only starts to leak after sitting for a few hours and I can not find this freaking leak anywhere. I'm starting to think that maybe I got a bad Power Steering pump. I bought it off E-Bay and it came in a box from "All Make 4x4". Has anyone ever had a problem with this company or got a bad Power steering pump. Is there another way to find this leak that I am missing?
Check your PS pressure hose.
I feel your pain, I changed my PS pump, leak stopped than noticed there was slight leak from steering gearbox, where pittman arm attaches and over time noted more fluid leaking and that was from PS pressure hose. Replaced all the hoses and now have aleaking steering pump again. I am not sure if my steering gearbox might be putting to much pressure on the PS pump and causing the leak? My PS pump was also from all brand4x4 and it is suppose to have 2 years warranty, i am not sure how to get a replacement PS pump. I just got a used gear box from ebay and I am having some second thoughts now and wondering if it is worh the effort putting a used steering gearbox.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Gasket

Any tips to making the homemade gasket to stop the leak? Sounds like you are the expert since you've done it twice (you know what to do and what not to do). Is the gasket available from the dealer or is it only part of the whole assembly? Please let me know, thanks!

Quick Reply: Power Steering leak