Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Nightmare - Feeling Stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 09:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Or, spray some water on the belt or conditioner to see if that stops the squeaking. At least then you have a culprit.

I don't know much about the inline filter flow rate, but that is what I would consider, that the pump is not getting enough fluid. Perhaps the filter in your reservoir is clogged, I know you cleaned it. Mine was beyond cleaning so I poked a couple holes in it. I figured with all new components there was little risk of dirt ruining the system.

Another way to bleed it is to just crack the bleeder screw with the engine off and let gravity drain it, once you see fluid close it. That worked wonders for me.

Old 11-28-2023, 09:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redrover75
Or, spray some water on the belt or conditioner to see if that stops the squeaking. At least then you have a culprit.

I don't know much about the inline filter flow rate, but that is what I would consider, that the pump is not getting enough fluid. Perhaps the filter in your reservoir is clogged, I know you cleaned it. Mine was beyond cleaning so I poked a couple holes in it. I figured with all new components there was little risk of dirt ruining the system.

Another way to bleed it is to just crack the bleeder screw with the engine off and let gravity drain it, once you see fluid close it. That worked wonders for me.
I don’t think it’s the belt or tension. It only squeaked once and that was before I changed the pump originally. It was that symptom, after hearing the pump whine a few times, that had me decide to put in a new pump. With 120,000 miles I figured it was time anyway.

I also poked a hole in my reservoir filter.

I’m hoping I got a bad pump. 😬

Old 11-28-2023, 12:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

My vote is a bad pump. I went through 2 cheap aftermarket pumps before getting a good one (from O'Reilly's this time instead of eBay). Since the AutoZone one has a lifetime warranty, get them to warranty it out and get a new one from them (for free) first and try that.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:54 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by V50-M66
My vote is a bad pump. I went through 2 cheap aftermarket pumps before getting a good one (from O'Reilly's this time instead of eBay). Since the AutoZone one has a lifetime warranty, get them to warranty it out and get a new one from them (for free) first and try that.

I have a feeling this is also the case but my feelings at times have been wrong when it comes to wrenching

The new pump is on the way. The damned fluid is so expensive is the biggest thing. I will have almost $200 on fluid by the time I swap out the pump again.

Old 11-28-2023, 05:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by pwdiamond80
I have a feeling this is also the case but my feelings at times have been wrong when it comes to wrenching

The new pump is on the way. The damned fluid is so expensive is the biggest thing. I will have almost $200 on fluid by the time I swap out the pump again.
Why are you not re-using fluid? Catch it, filter it, and re-use it.

The following users liked this post:
V50-M66 (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 11:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

A fun fact: if you run the pump with air in it, some of it, thanks to the pressure, will dissolve in the fluid and will take for ever to fizzle back out. You might need to bleed it more than once.

And just for s and g there is a whole post in the stickies about cleaning out your steering system.

Old 08-06-2024, 12:20 AM
Overlanding
Default Problem solved…

I had to store my truck for 6 months while traveling, so the new PS pump had to wait to go on. Just wanted to be sure to close this out.

The problem was a bad remanufactured pump after all. I bought the second pump from Atlantic British and it worked perfectly. I should have initially listened to my inner voice saying to spend the extra $100 on the better pump.

I also installed an in-line filter, as the screen in the bottom of the reservoir was shot.

Thanks for all the help and input!

The following users liked this post:
Lillyrosebud01 (08-28-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 09:08 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

Thanks for updating us