Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering pump Replacement DIY Tip

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Power Steering pump Replacement DIY Tip

I am doing my second PS Pump in the last few months, and thought I would share a tip I found made my life easier.

On the bottom of the bracket there are three bushings where the PS pump mounts. I found it immensely helpful to reset these back flush with the bracket. When trying to finagle the pump into the bracket you'll understand why. When you crank the bolts down it pushes them back against the pump again. THier purpose is to take any slack in between the pump in the bracket.

The Pictures are looking at the bottom of the bracket where the pump mounts (It is upside down on my bench.) The first pic shows what they look like when you take it off. The Second pic shows the method I used to reset them. They take very little pressure to push back in. The last pic shows what they look like reset.

Attached Thumbnails Power Steering pump Replacement DIY Tip-photo-8-.jpg   Power Steering pump Replacement DIY Tip-photo-7-.jpg   Power Steering pump Replacement DIY Tip-photo-6-.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That certainly does help, I came across that issue when I replaced the gasket in my PAS pump. I do not believe the Rave mentions that helpful lil step.
Another nice tip is to replace the 2 O-rings on the pressurized side of the pump. One is at the pump, the other at the steering box.