Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window jumping off guide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window jumping off guide?

Everything has been going well with the Discovery lately, which is a bad thing. I guess you could compare it to when your children are quiet, you know they are up to no good. This time the problem isn't too serious, but I couldn't find anythingrelated to thison the forums so far.

Front passenger power window on 98 Disco 1 LE.

When I press the switch for the window to go down, it goes down about 2 cm and then stops. It sounds like it's jammed against something. When I roll it back up, it makes a loud POP.

The experiment I've tried is:
I'll roll it down 1cm, then lift and shift the window, and it seems to fall into the correct guides, it will roll down and back up fine. But I have to lift and shift each time I roll it down (requires the door to be open which makes it difficult to lift and shift while driving.)

My guess is that the window is shifting off-track.

Does anyone know how/what I should look for once I get into the door?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Old 07-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Power window jumping off guide?

THis happend to my back window, pass side. The little plastic roller in the channel had a flat spot on it. It finally broke. Instead of getting a new regulator, I super-glued it back together, then used JB weld to even out the flat spot where it had worn away. Took some time, but only cost about $5. really free to me since I already had the stuff in the garage. Might not be the case for you, but this worked for me.

Good Luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power window jumping off guide?

The plastic roller on your track either cracked or had a piece break off. The easiest way to fix is to purchase a new regulator. Dealers want around $130. for part. I had to replace mine also on the front passenger door. It took me less then 45 min. The hard part is making sure you can pop the clips off withouth breaking them. You can get new clips from dealer ($$) or some auto parts stores carry them. You will need to cut some of plastic away to get access to the regulator. Good luck