Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

As I said in a similar thread...

One company I represent for insurance is Hagerty. They put out weekly info on collector cars and their peculiarities as well as values. Their figures are based on three things primarily:
What are the cars selling for
How many new quotes are they processing (aka demand / like volume on a stock)
Condition or grade of the car

Now, D2's haven't peaked yet. In my weak newcomer opinion, they are still depreciating. Maybe they are climbing-not looking for a pissing contest on that.
So we have representative sales data from eBay (hard to argue nationwide exposure). Collector cars look mostly at places like Mecum and Barrett-Jackson.
How much demand is there? Are people beating down your door to buy a D2? If yes, that drives the price up. Simple economics. I think that may not be the case as these vehicles obviously require a masochist with mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic capabilities. As more go to the crusher, the supply will be shorter, which will drive the price up. Of course the rover got longer in the tooth waiting for that to happen too, making good examples bring even more of a premium.
Which brings me too my actual point.
My D2 is not a pristine perfect as-delivered specimen. So it is NOT WORTH WHAT A PRISTINE PERFECT AS-DELIVERED SPECIMEN IS WORTH.
I see it all the time. A restored original 70 Mach 1 sells for $70k on TV in Scottsdale. The next week a guy comes in and wants to insure his unrestored original 70 Mach 1. We discuss the value. Its got some rust, interior shows its age, 150,000 miles, custom wheels, you get the picture. Its not a $70k car but THEY ALL THINK IT IS CAUSE ITS "JUST LIKE" THE ONE THEY SAW SELL ON TV.
Condition is everything. The trend now is that "customs" are bringing more than originals. Old cars are depreciating fast regardless of condition cause the newer generation buyers with expendable cash would rather have a Toyota Supra than a pre-war Cadillac. They can't have fun with a big pre-war car, but they can with a 80's sports car.
Its a moving target. D2's will get their 15 minutes. What condition yours is in when that day comes will determine what it is worth, and there is no better indicator than an auction with cash buyers. If they earned the money; they will likely know how to spend it.

The following users liked this post:
NewToTheTwo (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 01:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

And stop comparing an 01 to an 03.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:54 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the conversation and input. A lot of helpful thoughts. Like I said, I'm considering it might be time to make some changes but it won't be for sale in the immediate future, if at all. I'll mull it over and this helps with the the conversation about just selling it as-is or fixing the issues.....one of those thing that the right buyer wouldn't care at all about a cracked plastic cover because new HD bumpers and a lift would be in the top 3 of to-do's.

Interesting conversation about insurance too. I've been concerned about that topic on my Rover and Ram. Liberty Mutual was a PITA after I hit a deer with my truck this fall. They really fought to ignore the actual condition of the truck and just wanted to lump it in with high mileage and rotten junk. They actually sent rusty parts to the shop 3 times and it took over 2 months of arguing to finally get parts that matched the condition of the truck. Shop ended up getting new OEM body parts but process made me realize that an 01 Rover w/ 71k on it was't actually fully insured like I pay to do. After the truck experience, I'm SURE if I ever had an accident they'd jump to totaling it and say...here's your check for $2500.

shanechevelle-- I should just ignore it, but... I'm sure you have some great knowledge on here about certain topics, but just give it a rest. These forums become tiresome when people like you comment on everything even if it has nothing to do with answering a question. Dumb question? Move on. I know you are the true center of the universe and every topic must relate to you, but you offered zero value to the conversation other than suggesting a photo......I'll give you that but I'm also not actually selling it so it doesn't really matter for a price range and impact of some flaws. The conversation that I was hoping would happen, did. I'm sure you feel like a big boy being a distraction and gee you sure showed me by offering me $1500 for a rover that's not for sale. Stop basically trolling threads if you don't have actual input...we get it, you're smarter than the rest of us. Again....The question was not; who can come up with best douche-bag offer for a car that's not even for sale?

Last edited by stb616; 02-22-2019 at 08:58 AM.
NewToTheTwo (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 06:30 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Vehicles are insured for "actual cash value" which typically means; KBB, NADA, or if you can show actual sales figures of a vehicle in similar condition, with similar equipment, in the same part of the country, with similar miles, you may be able to negotiate to that value. That's called a comp, or comparative, just like when homes are appraised.
You can buy "agreed value" in which the vehicle is insured for a given amount. This is also sometimes called stated value. It costs more.
If you've got a rover worth $16k, you need stated value coverage, cause actual cash value is waaay below that.
Like most things, you get what you pay for.

shanechevelle (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by bcurtman
Vehicles are insured for "actual cash value" which typically means; KBB, NADA, or if you can show actual sales figures of a vehicle in similar condition, with similar equipment, in the same part of the country, with similar miles, you may be able to negotiate to that value. That's called a comp, or comparative, just like when homes are appraised.
You can buy "agreed value" in which the vehicle is insured for a given amount. This is also sometimes called stated value. It costs more.
If you've got a rover worth $16k, you need stated value coverage, cause actual cash value is waaay below that.
Like most things, you get what you pay for.
The OP doesnt understand that. Let him try to arrive at a value when we cant see wtf he wants a quote on.

The real problem is he doesnt understand how bad busted bumpers look on a vehicle. Since attention to detail has failed by the bumpers being broken, what else is not dress right dress? I work hard for my money, OP doesnt want to take the time to post pictures, many here wont take the time to make a valid estimation.

can you estimate what my chevelle value is based solely on my opinion? When I dont like what VALUABLE information is posted by multiple people's posts I'll just pick out the guy that disagrees the most and pick him apart because he hurt my feelings?

Post some damn pictures and we will make a better estimate. If not, the people that are posting are just swatting at flies.

Last edited by shanechevelle; 02-23-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:36 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well look at that...I found a pic for ya!

Old 02-25-2019, 02:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stb616
Well look at that...I found a pic for ya!
you took more time at an attempt, googling a comic, to make fun of me, who was simply trying to help you achieve a better goal, than you did to help yourself.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:01 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

you took more time at an attempt, googling a comic, to make fun of me, who was simply trying to help you achieve a better goal, than you did to help yourself.
IDK, maybe the reason is our friend eats way too much of this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner....

Old 02-25-2019, 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

IDK - do any of us really need a picture of a D2 with cracked bumpers to know what a D2 with cracked bumpers looks like?

Craigslist is a great source
All cars for sale - Land Rover Discovery - 1999 - 2004
Every ad will have a pic of a D2 with cracked bumpers

Old 02-25-2019, 02:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by NewToTheTwo
IDK - do any of us really need a picture of a D2 with cracked bumpers to know what a D2 with cracked bumpers looks like?

Craigslist is a great source
All cars for sale - Land Rover Discovery - 1999 - 2004
Every ad will have a pic of a D2 with cracked bumpers
Being totally constructive here.
The OP asked for an estimate that he may potentially sell.

Many here are seasoned buyers...how many times have people said...dent free but you find a few dings at places.
77,000 mi is low miles sure but the age is the same. While there may not be wear on the metal parts, all the rubber and plastics start to suffer the same age changes as any 01.

I'm not suggesting his rover isnt nice, is suggesting he post pictures and if it is as nice ad he says it is, there may be someone here that jumps on it.

No picture, it's just words.

How full is the coolant bottle? How "clean" does it look?

Can you see a repaint without a picture?
He doesn't seem to like anyone's quote anyway.

I thought if he posted a picture it would prove what he has and he would be more serious about it.

Everyones opinion of clean is always different.

Maybe the OP has an angle on buying a truck and he wants a ballpark figure without letting on, there's a thousand scenarios and if a picture helps arrive at a better number, why not?

Quick Reply: Price opinions