Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem Rear Passenger Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problem Rear Passenger Door Locks

Hi Everyone,

I have 2002 Disco2. Both of my Rear Passenger door locks won't unlock with either the remote or the switch on the dash. Both the front doors and the rear tail gate work just fine. The strange thing is if I put my ear to either rear door and have someone push the door switch on the dash I can hear the actuators working inside the doors (big loud clunk sound) but they will not open. The only way to open the doors is to pull the door handle from inside which is a major pain in the backside.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pop the interior door panels. you will easily see the malfunction. It is most likely that the end of the actuator cable ball has come out of the corresponding socket on the mechanism. If the nylon is not damaged, just pop it back into place and get the door panels back on.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Drifting

Thanks, Sound like that's probably the problem.
Have you popped the door panels before? Do they go back on OK without being loose or rattly? Are the retaining clips standard like at the auto part store or special like as in 50 bucks each at the dealer! Like my $70.00 windshield wiper blades replacements were.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Drifting

Updated on trying to trouble shoot door lock problem:

I followed Scout Beagle advise... but it's really not as easy as he makes it sound. #1 you just don't "pop off the interior door panels" there are three screws to remove two on the door handle and one behind the door opener latch. #2 Then you start prying around the outside edge of the panel with a flat blade screw driver pulling it away from the door. What holds the panel to the door are a bunch of ridged plastic spears on the panel that pierce rubber o-rings on the door side, most of these will stay in the o-rings and must be removed with a pair of pliers. At this point the panel is hanging there by the the door opener handle with very little clearance to see anything behind the panel.
#3 To remove the panel completely you must disconnect the wires for the window switch and the speaker and then rotate the entire panel 90 degrees to get it off the door opener handle. Oh and when you remove the panel the little manual door lock/unlock is going to fall inside the door because the only thing holding it in place is the door panel, you can retrieve it later with a magnet. #4 After all that you still can't see the locking mechanism because of the semi clear moisture barrier which must be remove and the only way to do this is to destroy it. #5 Now your looking at the inside of the door but you still can't see the mechanism, it also must be removed to really see whats going on. I stopped there for the day I'll let you know the rest of the story when I know it.

Last edited by scootch61; 11-04-2010 at 12:32 PM.