Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progress on my HG job

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Progress on my HG job

I made some progress on the HG job tonight. I was able to one of the heads removed tonight but my wobble attachment is starting to jump and I don't have a impact rated 1/2 drive extension so the other will be on until I find something. The gaskets appeared to be in ok shape and hadn't failed yet. After seeing another post I'm a little concerned about leaving the engine apart with my slow pace, is that something to be worried about?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

if you are worried, spray exposed metal with WD40

Old 11-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I don't have a impact rated 1/2 drive extension so the other will be on until I find something.
FYI, rating of extension doesn't really mater unless using an impact driver to disassemble which is not recommended if memory serves me.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

I would cover any open holes or connections with tape (fuel line, oil cooler, etc)

Also wrap a plastic bag on top of the engine so no foreign material gets into the valley.

My engine has been out for months. Other than the torque converter being exposed to the PNW weather... I'm not too worried

Old 11-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
FYI, rating of extension doesn't really mater unless using an impact driver to disassemble which is not recommended if memory serves me.
Yea you are right, and I'm not using an impact driver, but I cracked a socket on the 2nd HG bolt. I've had some terrible luck snapping or cracking sockets on this truck. So I swapped to an impact socket and haven't had issues but this #2 bolt on the driver side HG is in a strange position and I think I've stretched out the impact u-joint I was using. It keeps wanting to jump off the bolt. I didn't realize the force it would take to get these off, I'm starting to wonder how I'll torque them back to spec. I'll cross that bridge when I get there though.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Instead of U joint use wobble extensions, just enough play but still stable.

The following users liked this post:
robert.juric (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
if you are worried, spray exposed metal with WD40

This^^^^

I give both of my summer cars a good dose of WD40 in the engine compartment, before going into storage. Everything metal gets a good supply.

And as mentioned, get those fuel lines ends covered up.

Brian.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I'm in the process of buying yet another project D2. This time an 04 with 84k on it. Coolant isn't mixing with the oil or vise versa, and it runs cool. It just has a loud exhaust hiss at idle. Pretty sure the passenger side head gasket is leaking at one of the cylinders. Would be awesome if it was just a cracked exhaust manifold, but I'll have to trouble shoot it more once I get it.

Owner had the head gaskets, front timing cover, and coolant system (with a LR grey thermostat) fixed not to long ago at a local LR shop.

Runs great minus the exhaust/head gasket leak on a cylinder. No famous 4.6L ticking.

Mainly buying it for the lift, rocker guards, tires, HD Steering, HD driveshafts, and 04 goodies. It's painted OD green and would be a great trail D2.

I may end up tearing the motor down and doing the head gasket, but it's the best running 4.6L I've come across lately. All the rest are just destroyed from over-heating.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:15 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
Yea you are right, and I'm not using an impact driver, but I cracked a socket on the 2nd HG bolt. I've had some terrible luck snapping or cracking sockets on this truck. So I swapped to an impact socket and haven't had issues but this #2 bolt on the driver side HG is in a strange position and I think I've stretched out the impact u-joint I was using. It keeps wanting to jump off the bolt. I didn't realize the force it would take to get these off, I'm starting to wonder how I'll torque them back to spec. I'll cross that bridge when I get there though.
Im getting to that part right now with my project. While I guess fresh in your memory, how hard was it to remove all those head bolts? Im getting there, almost, but cant remove those head bolt with the 16mm. Been trying half day already but it wont move a bit. Im even afraid if theres a tool that can reach the bolt near the firewall. Any advice?

Old 11-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Weird, I don't remember having even the slightest trouble with head bolts. All easily doable with an impact socket, 24" breaker bar, and 3-6" regular extensions for a couple bolts. No u-joints or anything special. Do you have the exhaust manifolds off?

24" breaker bar is key... I tried using an 18"... 24 makes it a lot smoother.

Quick Reply: Progress on my HG job