Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project time! My "new" 2004

Old 05-14-2015, 06:09 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Project time! My "new" 2004

Finally got her towed home from the mechanic I bought her from. So its sitting in the garage, ready for attention. Wife did a bit of cleaning in the interior. Exterior and underhood still needs to be cleaned. AFAIK, the engine is probably a goner. Overheated more than once, fatal blow to previous owner's wallet was a catastrophic coolant leak. Its been sitting for over a year. I'm currently planning a Chevy LS swap, but I'm still formulating my plan of action. Right now, I just want to find out everything that needs work.

First snag. I hooked up a battery charger, just to see if it would take a charge. I really think it wont, but hey lets see what lights come on...
Well, the thing starts honking the horn immediately. Fortunately, clicking the remote on the key stopped that.

Also, the transfer case shifter seems to move freely between what seems like "bottom center" and "bottom right" positions, but I can't get it to go anywhere else. The car has a nice figure eight diagram that doesn't seem like it is going to happen. Where do I start with this? I don't want to break anything on my second day home with it.

It's a little overwhelming to figure out everything a vehicle like this needs to be done, but it should be fun. This is my first LR and first British car, so I have a lot to learn.

EDIT: my first post, about this car

Attached Thumbnails Project time! My "new" 2004-20150513_170739.jpg  

Last edited by evoblade; 05-14-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:51 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I would diagnose what you have for a motor to work with before heading to an ls1 swap.
a terrafirma bumper on the front and used a hood black out decal to cover the damaged clear on the hood

Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Scrap it immediately and take the money and go buy some drugs.

Cocaine is cheaper and less addictive!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
I would diagnose what you have for a motor to work with before heading to an ls1 swap.
a terrafirma bumper on the front and used a hood black out decal to cover the damaged clear on the hood
X2, then clay bar and wax, should look pretty nice with that little bit of work. And if the engine is completely toast, I look forward ot seeing another LS swap!

Though, cybercop might be right. Cocaine is cheaper and less addictive.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop

that is funny and so much truth to it....

Old 05-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop

coke is probably cheaper and you don't lay awake at night worrying about what to do next to sort the problems.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:19 AM
Mudding

As much as I appreciate the cocaine advice, my job requires drug testing, so in order to support any habits I need to keep working. :-)

I do plan to at least try to get the original motor running. I plan on getting the motive power (?) Coolant hose adapter to pressure test the coolant system. If anyone has a good idea on that front I'm all ears. If I can get it to not spray coolant, then I will change the oil and gas and try to crank it. Getting out all of the gas out should be fun...
:-(

Old 05-15-2015, 05:22 AM
Mudding

Also, when I turn on ignition I don't see three amigos. Is that good news or should I reserve judgement until after the motor runs and it drives?
I'm trying not to be unrealistic since this thing is a total unknown and it has been sitting for a long time.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by evoblade
Also, when I turn on ignition I don't see three amigos. Is that good news or should I reserve judgement until after the motor runs and it drives?
I'm trying not to be unrealistic since this thing is a total unknown and it has been sitting for a long time.
It's good if the 3 amigos isn't showing. The ABS sensors SHOULD be OK as they are lubed and also the ABS modulator may be OK (low mileage truck) but you will need to bleed the brakes to change the brake fluid as it's hygroscopic. Follow the bleeding procedure if you have a good interactive diagnostic tool or get them bled at the LR main agents. Good luck. (Stay away from the coke ................ it's brain damage powder).

Old 05-15-2015, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by evoblade
As much as I appreciate the cocaine advice, my job requires drug testing, so in order to support any habits I need to keep working. :-)

I do plan to at least try to get the original motor running. I plan on getting the motive power (?) Coolant hose adapter to pressure test the coolant system. If anyone has a good idea on that front I'm all ears. If I can get it to not spray coolant, then I will change the oil and gas and try to crank it. Getting out all of the gas out should be fun...
:-(
You can get a coolant system pressure tester that connects to the rad. They are relatively cheap online on Ebay. Check out the system test pressure for your truck in the RAVE manual. The RAVE manual download is available on this website.

Before you start the engine ensure you turn it over on the starter for a minute or two in 30 second bursts with rests in between (to prevent the starter motor overheating) to ensure the oil is circulating. To do this remove all the spark plugs first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project time! My "new" 2004