Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proof of Chevy 350 Conversion on D2

Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mbruneaux
Looks good. It may not be as macho but my "What if?" was putting in a GM 3800 as a direct replacement. They are rated at 205 Hp and are absolutely bulletproof. Add the supercharger from a Grand Prix GTP with a tune and headers and your talking more than 260hp. More than factory but not too much damage and plenty of room in the engine bay. Oh and they are dirt cheap.

Myself and a buddy of mine have been thinking of this for years now, as we both come from the Grand Prix community and have access to garage full of engines, superchargers, misc. mods, and have one of the best mechanics in the GP community local. The engine in my Disco has just been far too reliable to remove just for the heck of it though unfortunately. The 3800 block would be about as ideal of a platform for conversion as there is, it will easily outperform a 350.

Last edited by Street Wolf; 06-11-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:28 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Myself and a buddy of mine have been thinking of this for years now, as we both come from the Grand Prix community and have access to garage full of engines, superchargers, misc. mods, and have one of the best mechanics in the GP community local. The engine in my Disco has just been far too reliable to remove just for the heck of it though unfortunately. The 3800 block would be about as ideal of a platform for conversion as there is, it will easily outperform a 350.
How did I know you would chime in?! We haven't been so lucky, we just had a second engine go with the #4 cylinder getting steamed.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

How did I know you would chime in?! We haven't been so lucky, we just had a second engine go with the #4 cylinder getting steamed.
Because I'm bad ***, obviously. :P

I do wish I could find a cheap Disco with a blown engine, and our mechanic buddy had a little more free time than he does. Would love to make this happen. Maybe sometime though.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guy was selling a D2 with a 5.0 mustang engine here.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
4wd Low

I have an 03 Disco that has a slight knock in the engine, I own a restoration shop in NC and restore and service mainly Ferrari, Sport Classic and Competiton. One of my mechanics and I are doing all our homework to prepare my Disco for its impending doom. We have secured a 05 5.3 ltr with the 4L85e. We will have the swap completely laid out on paper before tearing anything apart. The goal is to have it done in a week. We have the mounts built and are currently working on an adapter for the tranny to transfer case now. We have started with a mapping program to incorporate the LR ECU with the GM ECU hoping to achieve an overlap with each unit only controlling necessary function pertinent to their respective duties. I plan on recording the entire process once completed. baring any issues we should be starting the swap near Sept.

Wade

Last edited by 308nut; 06-12-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 308nut
I have an 03 Disco that has a slight knock in the engine, I own a restoration shop in NC and restore and service mainly Ferrari, Sport Classic and Competiton. One of my mechanics and I are doing all our homework to prepare my Disco for its impending doom. We have secured a 05 5.3 ltr with the 4L85e. We will have the swap completely laid out on paper before tearing anything apart. The goal is to have it done in a week. We have the mounts built and are currently working on an adapter for the tranny to transfer case now. We have started with a mapping program to incorporate the LR ECU with the GM ECU hoping to achieve an overlap with each unit only controlling necessary function pertinent to their respective duties. I plan on recording the entire process once completed. baring any issues we should be starting the swap near Sept.

Wade
Maybe I'm a geek but I would love to see all that material on how you prepared and executed the swap.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm a geek but I would love to see all that material on how you prepared and executed the swap.
Same here!! Start new thread though!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:41 PM
4wd Low

will do, when I am ready to start posting I will start a new thread, right now it is just a bunch of numbers an CAD drawings of different options. I'll get me tech guy to start logging the ECU mapping , he said it is surprisingly easy so far HA yeah right

Wade

Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Found this, looks affordable and simple design.... does any one know where they are for sale for $255 as posted..?? I PM'd this guy and we'll see if he gives me an answer soon... here is the link to full postshttp://www.rockracing4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?226-LT230-Rover-Transfer-Case-to-TH700-auto-Adaptor

LT230 Rover Transfer Case to TH700 auto
This kit allows you too run the bullet proof LT230 to the common turbo 700 which is found on most v6 and 5 ltr V8.
This adaptor allows the transfer to be mounted flat/0 degrees or 15 degrees down.
$255.00

Old 06-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Three Wheeling

OK, so here is the update,

I found a complete 2003 5.3 L59 Vortec Flex Fuel off a Silverado 1500 with 90k mi...

And a 2002 4L80e 4wd Auto Trans off a Silverado 2500 with 70k mi....

We already have the engine and tranny out of d2 ready to drop chevy engine and trans in to align and fit....

The approach can still go a few ways... the plan is to connect the chevy trans to the transfer box with an adapter and adapter shaft... I plan on having parts made of steel, rather than aluminum to save on costs from a local machine shop...

Now if I get this under and cant get done without relocating tbox, then I will prob consider finding an older model d1 tranny and rebuilding with some bmw parts and just making an adapter setup bellhousing plate from the bellhousing to the gearbox...

To do this I will follow from some info I learned

by the end of next week I should know which direction I will go with the transmission... I need to find a tranny shop that is familiar with beefing up the 4hp22 in case the 4L80e turns to be more costly...

Otherwise it will be a waste of time if it can't hold these engine specs of the 5.3L: Power output is 270–305 hp (201–227 kW) and torque is 315 lb·ft (427 N·m) to 335 lb·ft (454 N·m)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Proof of Chevy 350 Conversion on D2