Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Propshaft Rebuild - Driving w/ CDL Engaged?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Propshaft Rebuild - Driving w/ CDL Engaged?

Propshaft is on the bench awaiting a new u-joint. My first rebuild over the weekend was a FAIL. Needle bearings feel out of place on one of the caps. I had the entire thing 99.999% completed (center ball kit and all) - the last cap f-ed me.

I need to drive the truck tomorrow. Here's what I did in order:

Crawled under and locked the center diff. (Sweet, my '01 has one)
***Update*** THIS NEXT STEP IS NOT NECESSARY - THE FUSE IS BACK IN. SEE POST BELOW.
Removed the ABS 10A fuse # 28 (per the RAVE)

"the ETC system must be deactivated by either, removing a fuse (10A fuse 28 in the passenger compartment
fusebox, labelled ABS) or disconnecting the ABS modulator pump. This must be done with the ignition switched off.
Note: that the SLABS ECU may record a system fault."

Started the truck up - put it in gear - and she MOVES!

I am seeing the following lights illuminated on the dash:
ABS, BRAKE, HILL DESCENT, and HILL DESCENT W/ EXCLAMATION MARK

Are these FOUR lights expected? And is the truck safe to drive tomorrow?
Thanks,
E

Last edited by coors; 03-01-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

You should be seeing the CDL, TC, HDC, and ABS lights on, unless you also have the parking brake on. Yes, the vehicle is safe to drive. The ABS is going to be less efficient, but it will still work at a reduced rate (unless you have removed the ABS fuse). I drove my vehicle with these 4 lights on for three days while my front shadt was getting rebuilt. Just drive easy, with no need-for-speed starts from a stop, to avaoid extra wear and tear on your rear shaft.

edit: AFAIK, you don't need to remove that fuse. Where did you see that in RAVE?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus

edit: AFAIK, you don't need to remove that fuse. Where did you see that in RAVE?

Yes, TC light is also on. Forgot that one.

Page 540. Sh&t, now that I look at it again, I read (the fuse pulling statement) under the title:
Functionality – Vehicles from 03 model year only

The differential lock must be engaged for 2 wheel rolling road testing. It will also be necessary to disconnect the
propeller shaft from the transfer box output shaft driving the axle whose wheels are NOT on the rolling road. In
addition, the ETC system must be deactivated by either, removing a fuse (10A fuse 28 in the passenger compartment
fusebox, labelled ABS) or disconnecting the ABS modulator pump. This must be done with the ignition switched off.
Note: that the SLABS ECU may record a system fault.

The lock can be engaged or disengaged using the selector lever.

WARNING: VEHICLES NOT FITTED WITH A DIFFERENTIAL LOCK MUST NOT BE TESTED ON A ROLLING ROAD WHERE THE ROLLERS ARE DRIVEN BY THE VEHICLE.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So...this is not for my 2001

Last edited by coors; 03-01-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Pro Wrench

OK. I just put the fuse back in and started it up and... no lights were illuminated? Is this normal? looks good to me.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

You don't need to pull the fuse, just don't do any burnouts and the TC wont try to engage.
You'r fine driving it around, just be easy on it...

I rebuilt ONE of those shafts, took me 6 hours. I will never do one again.
good luck! =]

Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

...not even the CDL light? I have a feeling that after engaging the CDL originally, you didn't move the vehicle. On mine, sometimes the light comes on immediately when I engage the CDL, other times it takes a bit (while driving). While stopped, if I engage the CDL, the light might not illuminate until I move a distance.

My theory: ABS fuse back in, hence turning off the ABS, TC, and HDC lights, you started the vehicle, and even though the CDL is mechanically engaged, you haven't moved the vehicle enough to turn the CDL light on. When you have driven it a few feet or so, the CDL light will come on, if it is really engaged and will be the only light on for this drive cycle (until you shut it off). When you restart it, the CDL, ABS, TC, and HDC lights will all be on. This is a function of the D2 SLABS: if the CDL is engaged (mechanically and electrically (to turn on the light) before the engine is started, the ABS, TC, and HDC lights will stay on, and will work at a reduced rate.

see Urban Panzer's how to: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/diff_lock.html

Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
You don't need to pull the fuse, just don't do any burnouts and the TC wont try to engage.
You'r fine driving it around, just be easy on it...

I rebuilt ONE of those shafts, took me 6 hours. I will never do one again.
good luck! =]
I feelyour pain brotha. Damn! I wanted to do a power brake tomorow and see what this 215cui can do.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

lol... I took the front driveshaft out of my 96 RR for new u joints, I managed to get a decent "one wheel peel" goin on wet asphalt haha...