Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prospective Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:56 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective Buyer

Hi All,

As the subject, I am thinking of purchasing my first Land Rover and in particular a Disco. My head says no as I have heard and read about so many reliability issues, but I just love the look of them and nothing else does it for me which has 7 seats!!

I've got about 11k to spend, but am wondering whether to buy something relatively older and keep a bit of spare cash back in case of any costly mechanical failures......

Is there anything I should particularly look out for on the Y plate onwards, bearing in mind I am no mechanic. Was there any particular year or edition I should steer well clear of? Deffo gonna geta Diesel TD5 and apart from the trim levels (am I right in saying its XS, GS and ES being top model)?

Just looking for some general advice really - got a 2001 Pug 406 HDI at the moment and have had absolutely no problems with it at all which is why even though I really want a Disco I still have this feeling deep down on whether its the right thing to do.

Cheers for any help/advice....oh and can anyone recommend any good dealers (not specifically Land Rover direct) dealers in South Wales/South West region

Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Prospective Buyer

First of all do a TON of research, test drive a few and be sure it is perfect. I found a 2000 disco for $8,000 with 89,000 miles on it, just a few days before I test drove one that was a 2000, 100,000+ miles on it and it was $9,500. Some dealerships, LR and privates ones, will hike up the price because it says Land Rover on the name plate. So look around for a while, I researched for almost 2 1/2 months. Once you have done that and narrowed it down, be sure all maintenance records are there and run a carfax report, its worth it. If the records are up to date and carfax is clear you have found a good disco most likely! Mine so far has been wonderful and the only problem I had, wasn't really a problem after all. Now for the mechanical things, I will leave that up to everyone else!

GOOD LUCK!
Cameron.

PS-do some major negotiating with the salesmen, they almost always have the prices so high. This is a great truck, lots of fun, good looking and if you ever need ANYTHING the people on here will help you out!