Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA on the terrafirma gas tank skid plate....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 07:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts
Default PSA on the terrafirma gas tank skid plate....

So I had a long day whacking and bending on another project... finally finished it and wanted a quick win with installing the TF gas skid.

The thought never crossed my mind that the factory plate also... wait for it... holds the gas tank. Doesn't help that TF never provides instructions either.

so I happily start unbolting the factory skid (I wish I had heard it called a "strap" before...) and wha-boom, full gas tank right in the face. Something was still supporting it on the passenger side, so I had maybe 80-100 pounds on my face. Broke my phone screen. managed to wedge the new skid to hold it temporarily while I ran for a bottle jack and wood.

Lucked out... the fuel pump and connection appear to be unharmed, though the weight of the full tank must have been on those lines which scares me deeply.

I can definitely hear an intermittent whine, or high pitched noise now when the car is running which I believe is coming from the fuel pump. It'll come on for 1-15 seconds, go off, repeat. I swear that wasn't there before. Damage assessment?

Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 PM
Pro Wrench

I did some googling and found the instructions: http://www.terrafirma4x4store.co.uk/...pdfs/TF865.pdf

That would have helped! Vendors should provide these ??

It says bolts, washers, and nuts were provided for the front side, but I don't have them. The factory ones seem to be barely be long enough to cover the nut (it's a steel plate with 2 studs on it). Maybe I should get those new bolts.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

I don't know dude, a gas tank skid plate before CDL ... Didn't someone throw out the term poseur?

Instructions? We don't need no stinking instructions!

Last edited by mln01; 08-31-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Badges, no stinking badges.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mln01
I don't know dude, a gas tank skid plate before CDL ... Didn't someone throw out the term poseur?

Instructions? We don't need no stinking instructions!
I think you're kidding, so I'll let it slide

Old 08-31-2017, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

good info. what would you estimate the TF skid weighs?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Terrafirma fuel tank cradle disco ii

The tank is retained in position by a metal cradle which is secured to the chassis with two nut plates and bolts at the
rear and a stud plate and two nuts at the front.
What you referred to as the factory plate is a cradle per the D2 Mx Manual.

Instructions should've come with the it and mfg/vendors should properly identify their product as a cradle. LR Manual should also be consulted prior to installations/modifications.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:09 PM
Pro Wrench

I got the aluminum one to save on weight. It's very sturdy. Probably 20-30 pounds

Yes I should have checked for instructions before doing it. it came with no hardware, just the plate, from lrdirect. I guess I thought, how hard could this be... and went for it. Lesson learned...

i need to check on the breather hose and main hoses more thoroughly. By my estimation I was supporting maybe 80-100 pounds of weight, and the gas tank was full (200 pounds). So that leaves 100+ pounds tugging on the lines. I don't see how any of those lines could support that kind of weight... but they did... for now. Like I said, weird intermittent whine noise when running that I swear wasn't there before. Any ideas? It;s not very loud.. you have to put your head below the bumper to hear it, so maybe I just never noticed it before?

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 08-31-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

The whine noise is likely that you are now finally hearing your fuel pump.

First, glad you survived!

OK, why would you hear your fuel pump (they always make noise)? My *guess* is that the top fuel tank cover is popped up so the sound is escaping from the tank now...whereas before the fuel pump sound was muffled by being completed enclosed.

Your Disco fuel pump gets turned off and on a lot by your BCU based on measured fuel pressure.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you need to examine the top of your fuel tank for the fuel pump cap (you probably don't want fuel fumes wafting into your cabin or making their way toward your cats while idling).

While you are there you can inspect your fuel lines and connection fittings.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow lol ironically I did this exact same thing last night. Removing all my RTE protection, bumpers, and rack to be sand blasted and painted lol

Didn't want to get into a heavy project so I found what I assumed to be the easiest item to remove (only 4 bolts holding my RTE skid plate on). Low and behold, I also received a steel skid plate + half full gas tank directly in my face lol

Not even really sure how I'll get this back together after I prep / paint the darn thing.

Lovely...

Quick Reply: PSA on the terrafirma gas tank skid plate....