Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased a 2004 Disco, now trying to address problems!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 10:49 AM
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question Purchased a 2004 Disco, now trying to address problems!

I bought this Disco S because it had no rust on the frame (at all!) and was running ok. Big fan and so excited to drive this vehicle. I don't have experience working on cars, so I'm looking for a hand finding the right person/getting the right resources to fix the existing problems. I took it to a local mechanic but his prices seems kinda crazy and he doesn't have Land Rover experience. Looking for some guidance on what fair prices would be and which mechanics near Pittsburgh other forum members would recommend. Or if you know how to do this work and just want to work with me, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

The issues that I've noticed upon initial inspection are:

1) Brakes are very laggy/soft. Expensive local mechanic told me that he wanted to change out the master cylinder to address this.
2) Blinkers do not work.
3) Has a wobble at speeds over 55.
4) Needs a new window regulator.
5) Needs front cowl and two pieces of pillar trim replaced.
5) Needs new horn switch.
6) Has a lock that doesn't respond to master switch.
7) Need to add a towing hitch added for towing my airstream trailer
8) Single key is missing its button (would like to add a second key, also)
9) A seat adjustment motor is broken.
10) Cigarette lighter is broken. Need this to charge devices.
11) Center diff gearbox seems locked. (Maybe I just don't know how to use it? Never had a vehicle with a center diff lock option)
12) ABS and tracking control dash lights are on.
13) Sunroofs do not work. Would love to get them working again if possible.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,276 Likes on 897 Posts

Not any help, as far as locating a mechanic in your area. But a few of these items could be a fuse blown. Under seat, you will find a fuse holder, the 40 amp is for the electric seat motor. Open drivers compartment fuse box panel and check all fuses, sun roof, blinkers, cigarette lighter, etc could be fuse related issue. There is a fuse box in engine compartment, check all of these fuses also. Door lock is probably actuator, which is a pain to change...especially on rear doors. Window regulator isn't bad. Are the wondow regulator and door lock issue on same door, if so...check harness that goes from door frame to door...could be compromised.

The CDL could just need lubracation, which will have to be done from underneath. The vehicle should be rolling sightly, under 5 miles an hour, to help engage hi-lo or CDL. I usually get the rover rolling, pop trans into neutral and then gently try to engage hi-lo or CDL. Do not force it, you can ruin/bend the shifter cables easily and they are a pain to change and kind of pricey.

Hopefully someone in your area will chime in with help.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I don’t know how close you are to Latrobe, PA but there’s a garage call Jagspeed. He knows all about Land Rovers and could help.

In Moon township is a garage called RK Industries Import Auto Repair. Works on many foreign and Land Rovers.

I live East of the city near Greensburg, PA. I’ve worked my D2 for years but do not have a garage.

any non-land rover or non-foreign shop will charge you an arm and a leg for any work. Because they just don’t know or understand the LRs. These are very easy vehicles to work on. So cost should not be too crazy high.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:20 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

If your centre diff really is locked, there will be a warning light on the dash and you shouldn't be driving it on pavement. I suspect that what you actually mean is that you can't move the lever. Supposedly the cables on the 2004 model can seize up if they're not used often. As Deputy says, it may be possible to lubricate them. Getting to them from underneath is going to be a real pain; getting to them from the top will let you lubricate them much more easily, but it means removing the entire central console which is a big job. However, pulling this out will also allow you to replace your cigarette lighter.
Empty key casings can be purchased off eBay for a couple of dollars. Swap over your internals and have a new key cut on the blank shaft, and away you go. That will also provide you with a backup (mechanical-only) key. Replacement electronic fobs are pricey.
Wobble could be wheel balancing or alignment.
Turn signals could be something as simple as needing a new flasher unit. Do the hazard lights work?

There's a service sticky at the top of the Disco 2 forum. You should make your way through much of that, including changing fluids, filters, and greasing the driveshafts, along with checking the fuses for the systems that you're having trouble with.