Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting Serpentine Belt Back On

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Putting Serpentine Belt Back On

Hi All,

This has probably been written up before, and I'm sorry if I'm asking a repeat, but I'm on my phone, and searching forums is not one of its better features... I've stumbled on some info, but not clear enough, I guess...

The other day I started losing coolant. Figured it was water pump, but happy it turned out to be the gasket - a much less expensive fix.

It has been a bad week, I currently have no "extra" vehicle so have been carpooling w roomie (160 miles r/t), making for very long days for both of us.

I ordered gasket (as well as a new belt, as I found crack in mine when removing it) from Atlantic British. It was delivered today, will be waiting for me when I get home tonight.

So, I'm hoping to put my Disco back together tonight. But, I don't have a breaker bar as some other posts referenced, to "bump start" it. Nor do I fully understand what that means. I took a picture of how to route belt, but am unsure of how to actually get it back on....seems like a very tight fit.

Can someone please spell it out for me in plain English so that I can get it on tonight?

Much appreciated!

Marni

Old 06-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess u must have cut the old belt off or had hard time getting off, the belt is held tight by a tensioner it is spring loaded. If your looking at engine it will be on the left side near top it is one of the pulleys the belt goes over. It has a bolt not sure size maybe 15mm and u have to push it down and that will allow you to put belt over all the pulleys. I added picture but did from phone so not sure it will show. This is the pulley that has tensioner built into it. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Putting Serpentine Belt Back On-1371680795042.jpg  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a 5 minute job with any set of cheap ratchets. Loosen the tensioner as shown, use the bolt on the tensioner to push towards it up/over towards the driver's side of the truck and slip the new belt on, retighten bolt you loosened and done.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Draw the belt route before you take it off.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
It is a 5 minute job with any set of cheap ratchets. Loosen the tensioner as shown, use the bolt on the tensioner to push towards it up/over towards the driver's side of the truck and slip the new belt on, retighten bolt you loosened and done.
Okay, I'm still having some problems. I've identified the pulley, but I can't seem to loosen the bolt...am I missing something? Or am I just weak and need to keep working at it?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Mudding

Thanks Savannah Buzz, I actually took a picture of it before I took it off :-) I knew I'd forget....

Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You are looking for the pulley that is on an arm that moves. 15mm wrench or socket and push in the direction that moves the pulley away from contact with the belt. It is spring loaded.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Mudding

Truly stumped. We just took off the tensioner assembly to see how it operates. It looks like it should ratchet, can see what appears to be the edge of teeth, but it doesn't move at all. There is zero movement on the entire assembly, even though it appears there should be. Can someone confirm there should be movement, and maybe suggest how I can unstick it? It seems like this should be pretty easy, yet I'm having a real difficult time.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Mudding

Thanks all! Just got it....leverage is key! :-)

Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Good job.