Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Reputable Indy Shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Reputable Indy Shop

Why would these guys tell me there is not adjustment on a D2 Steering box, when I have read in the manual how to adjust it? Am I missing something or should i avoid these guys like the plague for basic stuff, like quick check ups before road trips? This shop has a great reputation with my LR club, but I am really questioning their motives on this.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Some shops have been snake bit on a particular repair, and decided that anyone that asks will get the "company mandated fix". That may not be what is in the Rover manual, and you should print it out, share with them, and let them explain their position. It could they have extra info that has not been shared with you, like every time we tried that we ended up putting in a new box. I would not give up on them just yet.

I had an indy shop I had used for years for a small fleet, they got a new service manager and he told me I needed to spend $540 for a set of plug wires for a K2500 Suburban because it was a 454. Picked up a set for under $30 at parts store on the way back to my office, and we changed shops the next day. I guess that was how he was going to earn his salary. Or he might have been related to our friend here.

Attached Thumbnails Question about Reputable Indy Shop-bad-mechanic.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Some shops have been snake bit on a particular repair, and decided that anyone that asks will get the "company mandated fix". That may not be what is in the Rover manual, and you should print it out, share with them, and let them explain their position. It could they have extra info that has not been shared with you, like every time we tried that we ended up putting in a new box. I would not give up on them just yet.

I had an indy shop I had used for years for a small fleet, they got a new service manager and he told me I needed to spend $540 for a set of plug wires for a K2500 Suburban because it was a 454. Picked up a set for under $30 at parts store on the way back to my office, and we changed shops the next day. I guess that was how he was going to earn his salary. Or he might have been related to our friend here.

I'll give that a shot, I am hoping they come up with a reply much like you said, which would put me at ease. I would hate to think they are just another in a long line of rip off artists.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Business can change. New owner, new manager, new software system, big boss reads another dang "make things better with team work" book on a plane trip, etc. Can also be a sign of the contagious CRS disease. Can't Remember Sh**. We may all have to get vaccinated.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Business can change. New owner, new manager, new software system, big boss reads another dang "make things better with team work" book on a plane trip, etc. Can also be a sign of the contagious CRS disease. Can't Remember Sh**. We may all have to get vaccinated.

Savannah,

Quick Update: Beware of a Scottsdale based indy shop (PM me for Name for anyone who lives in AZ) :: After reading your response i tried to reach out to them again and see if perhaps they were mistaken, which they said they weren't; and continued to let me know I needed a new steering box to the tune of 1K and change installed, as there is no way to adjust one.

Long and short of it is they lost my trust completely, but they are endorsed by my land rover club as the go to guys, so now I am questioning the judgement of the club members. Maybe they have the $$ to blow on repairs without questioning of the technician.

I replaced the PS hoses , which took care of the small leak they found on the PS box, and saved about $900.00 dollars. Pretty burned to find out they are shady.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

There is an adjustment.
But, I found on the Discovery I ----
Pan Hard bushing go bad and make steering very loose.
Not sure if these panhard bushings apply to D2.
Try those first.

I did adjust the steering box on a D1.
Not too hard.
Tricky.
You need a allen wrench and a box wrench.
You need to only snug it down.
But then you need to hold the lash precisely by holding the allen wrench and tightening the box.
If you don't, the allen screw will turn in when you tighten and then you will wear the steering box as you made it tooo tight.