Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about engine knock...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys...you have been a huge help! I will let you know what I find out!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Overlanding

ok guys, the verdict is in on my discovery and i really need your opinions! first of all, i didnt make any impulse decisions on the repairs cause i wanted to hear your thoughts. here we go...i was told that my discovery is going to need new "connecting rod bearings", which would run me $638.03 ($209.19 for parts, $413.62 for labor). this is what is causing the knocking/ticking. but here is where the "questionable" part comes in to play. My shop told me that the trouble with this fix is that they are "opening a can of worms". They basically stated to me that "once we open up the engine we may find other issues, such as other bearings that need replacing, also may need a new oil pump, this price could easily double, or triple depending on how much work you want done".

keep in mind that i have an 03 and in the vin range. but my oil pressure reading came back perfect and i have not had the oil light ever on.

i really dont want to get rid of my discovery but my mechanic is making it sound like this fix is just delaying the inevitable. please help me out guys! i need your opinions before i spend a boat load of cash!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

First off connecting rods DO NOT wear, here is what they look like.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR4837G.cfm
The big end goes around the crankshaft, it bolts over it, the rod bearings are what wears (they go inside the big end of the rod) and if they wear out you just replace them.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC1426.cfm
The little end is what goes inside the piston.
The connecting rod is what transfers the downforce of the piston to the crankshaft.

This is a easy job that you could do with a torque wrench and a basic tool kit and a days work.

But here is what I would do, take it somewhere else, these guys are going to screw you hard, and when i say hard I mean dry, as in with no lube, as in like in Federal prison hard, Shawshank hard.
So take your truck anywhere but there and get another opinion.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Mudding

Replacing rod bearings without pulling the crank is insane. Rod bearings just don't go bad on their own - there had to be a reason (normally oil starvation). With the problem engine you have, I would be leery. As your shop says - it's opening a can of worms.
The crank must be pulled to inspect it properly and have it turn if needed. Throwing new rod bearings is a temporary fix at best.

I tell you what - this is a forum. You don't know one of us from Adam. There is a lot of advice being spewed - how are you to know what to believe.

I would call an independent ROVER shop like roverlab.com

These guys will give the real story - at least Trevor will. Trevor has helped me a lot with my head gasket job and I haven't dropped a dime in his shop...yet. Good, honest guy.

Take forum advice with a grain of salt.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen plenty of people replace main and rod bearings in situ and not have any problems.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by tornado_735
I have seen plenty of people replace main and rod bearings in situ and not have any problems.
Yeah, before they knock...

Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Like I said before, the only reason for main/rod bearings to wear like that is not changing your oil or having low oil pressure.

I have asked what your exact numbers were and how to properly test them. I have also said that the first thing you should do is pull the front cover and inspect the oil pump gears. I have heard numerous times that people have broken gears, causing a knock, while still giving decent pressure. I would hate for you to pull the crank, replace all of your bearings, and learn you are having a binding issue in the pump.

I realize your hesitation in taking just one person's advice, I applaud you for that. We still need more information. You can replace the bearings needed, but you will need more tools than you probably have, and it will take you longer than a day without help. Get the #'s on the oil pressure and get back to us, or take it to a shop that is familiar with Rovers.

Long story short, you aren't looking at anything cheap here...

Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Overlanding

I will have to get back to you guys with the results of my oil pressure test when I get home from work! Unfortunately I have only owned this vehicle for a month which leaves me clueless as to how often the oil changes were done in the past.