Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on Upgrading Suspension [Terrafirma Springs & Shocks)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 03:45 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on Upgrading Suspension [Terrafirma Springs & Shocks)

'04 Discovery II HSE with Rear Airbags. I've seen plenty of questions about factory height stuff vs. 2" lift and Terrafirma in general, so will be happy to report back with all my experiences...

Pretty sure I've settled on upgrading the old stock suspension with 4 new Terrafirma Coil Springs including the rear coil conversion; 4 Heavy Duty Front (TF118) & Rear (TF119) Shock Absorbers; and Terrafirma Steering Damper (TF802). These will be "factory height" and not the 2" lift since I'm concerned about the overall height, want to maintain a factory/OEM look and desire a better controlled vehicle with better driveability. Largely an on-road vehicle with off road really only being at a ranch. I also want to do it right and not cut corners.

I will not be adding any significant weight to the vehicle (no bumpers, winch, etc.) other than rock sliders/super sliders by Rocky Road Outfitters. I've already received those, could barely lift them by myself holy cow they are ridiculously heavy.

My main questions are:

1 - Do you think I'm going about this the right way? Any suggestions?

2 - Lucky8 also shows Front Spring Seats ($59 for LH and $92 for RH) and Front Spring Tower Securing Rings ($15/ea). Should these be items I think about adding/replacing? I'll take a look under the truck when I have a chance but what exactly should I be looking for to see if I should replace other than if they are COMPLETELY worn?

3 - I don't have mechanical experience and everything will be installed by a shop, at the same time I have them doing my upper and lower ball joints. What should I expect the average labor cost to be? I'll be supplying Terrafirma suspension items but not ball joints. I'm in Houston, TX (and most recommended shop i've seen on websites is Land Rover Unlimited in Spring, TX).

Thanks to all

Last edited by Ole Miss Disco; 11-21-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely reach out to Justin @Lucky8...he knows his stuff. If you go with a 2" lift and add some weight to it you will not be gaining all that much, medium duty springs would be the best bet I think in your application.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Seconded Lucky8. Tell them what you want to do and they'll set you up.

I'd be inclined to suggest heavier duty springs to support those sliders. LR makes them, as do aftermarket companies like Terrafirma.

Also the front shock towers can get pretty nasty/rusted. Would be wise to replace those with the Terrafirma towers. They're much better designed.. there's an atlantic british video that explains why.

Also when converting from air to coils, I believe you have to take the truck to a shop or dealer to get it re-programmed