Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator drain plug???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator drain plug???

Hey I have a 2000 dicovery 2 and I wanted to drain my radiator the other day and couldn't find the drain plug. U guys have any Idea where it is?
Sackou

Old 04-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

D2's don't have a radiator drain plug, best you can do is taking a hose off the t/stat if you want to drain most of the coolant.
By the way, where is your bleed screw, on the upper radiator hose or in a black plastic tee over by the alternator. If it is on the hose, buy the new up-dated hose assembly before you do anything else.
Do you then know how to bleed the coolant system to get rid of all the air and prevent over heating?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:31 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
D2's don't have a radiator drain plug, best you can do is taking a hose off the t/stat if you want to drain most of the coolant.
By the way, where is your bleed screw, on the upper radiator hose or in a black plastic tee over by the alternator. If it is on the hose, buy the new up-dated hose assembly before you do anything else.
Do you then know how to bleed the coolant system to get rid of all the air and prevent over heating?
I think it's on the upper hose last time I checked. I don't really know how to do bleed the coolant system either. How much are the new updated hoses by the way?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sackou
I think it's on the upper hose last time I checked. I don't really know how to do bleed the coolant system either. How much are the new updated hoses by the way?

200 for the whole kit which u should get to bleed the system remove cap from resivoir and remove the little screw from the bleed hose,pour the coolant in until u see it coming out of the bleed screw in a nice stream.then put the bleed screw in and start the truck leave the cap off and put ur climate control to high the hottest setting,let it run for about 15 min to be safe and if it overflows a little no big deal its just purging air out but be sure to put it right back ingood luck bro

Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

FWIW D1's don't have radiator drains either. When I had my radiator recored I had them add a drain at the same time. I think it's stupid to not have a drain on the radiator.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Administrator

I thought they also cane with a drain, I know I helped a friend drain his D1 using a lower radiator drain plug, maybe it was also a replacement radiator.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sackou
If you have the old hose and you try to remove the bleed screw, there is a good possibility that it will break and you won't be able to drive the truck till you at least buy a replacement upper radiator hose.
This is a got-to-be, the hose must be replaced and you can buy them separate from a full hose kit from Atlantic British .

Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
FWIW D1's don't have radiator drains either. When I had my radiator recored I had them add a drain at the same time. I think it's stupid to not have a drain on the radiator.
What did the recoring cost you?

Is there a different procedure for servicing the DI cooling system. I would like to do mine soon with a total hose replacement.

I took my oil seperator hose off, it was deteriorating on the inside. Rubber particles were coming out of the soft middle. I put heater hose on for now.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It's been a while, but it was about $250. If your tanks are good then you can get a heavy duty core that provides better cooling. Even for the same price as new I'd do it as I've heard from several people that the replacement radiators aren't nearly as good as the original.