Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Security Code / Low Volume

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Security Code / Low Volume

I have '02 Discovery that I'm replacing a JVC stereo with a factory salvage yard radio. All the original wiring is still in place, so it's an easy install. The radio works, it turns on and it searches and finds radio stations. The controls on the steering wheel work also. But i'm having the issue of low volume. All the speakers are working just low volume even when i raise the volume to max. The fuse for the speaker amplifier is good. After doing a lot of research on the net i'm seeing articles about radio security codes. Could not having the code for the radio be the problem? The radio is not prompting for a code and the radio is working but not as it should. This is the 2nd salvage yard radio that i've bought and both have the same problem, turn on but low volume. Thanks in advance for reading this and helping.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

The short answer is that the code function disables the radio so it's unlikely its related to your problem. The fact that two radios have done the same thing indicates it more likely to be a wiring/signal problem with the truck. It may be that the outputs you're using are line level and you need an amplified signal output. Did the truck have normal volume function with the original radio?

Old 12-31-2018, 11:07 AM
Overlanding

Ahab, thanks for your reply. I can't answer your question since I'm not the original owner. I'm the 4th owner of this truck. The original owner had the aftermarket stereo installed. I know that because I know the 2nd and 3rd owners and they didn't install it. My truck does have a stock amplifier underneath the drivers seat with a good fuse.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:17 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

are you sure that you're actually running the output through the stock amplifier? if someone installed an aftermarket unit they may have bypassed it

Old 01-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Overlanding

Well i've done a lot of research and work on the truck. After removing the dash and pulling out all of the aftermarket wiring, the satellite receiver from the back i couldn't find any wiring that by passed the amplifier. The main reason for that is that the unit under the driver's seat isn't an amplifier but a "transmission communicator". Someone else using this forum had the same issue. It turns out that the original radio on my truck possibly had the amplifier built into the radio. Anyone ever heard of that, a radio with it's own amplifier? I'm going to see if i can hunt one down on the web. I really don't want to add an aftermarket radio or amplifier. I'd like to keep it original.