Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain pouring inside...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
Angry Rain pouring inside...

Hi.
Tackled the rear sunroof... The 4 glass holding screws found to be finger tight. The cause seems to be its rubber washers collapsed with time, but that may not have been much of a problem.
Removed the glass, to have a good look at all, greased the sliding guides, mechanism and motor fine. Found a missing cushioning rubber in one guide pin, made one.
The rubber seal, shrunk and came off its bottom channel, allowing water to enter on its outer perimeter, then under it, and spilled to the ceiling, dripping onto the cargo area.
As the f@#$%n left air bag deflates when it wants to, seems the level does not allow all the water into the drain. 'Brilliant' engineering. The vehicle must be parked very leveled to keep rain outside.

Removed the rubber seal around the sunroof perimeter, which is not glued, and was popped up, dislodged at corners. Cleaned all, applied silicone to fit it back. No way. What a mess... Black silicone smeared everywhere, the roof, the rails, my arms, hands, and everywhere I tried not to touch. Clean everything again. Not a pleasant operation.
The rubber seal is so shrunk (perhaps 3 cm) that was an impossible fit. Held it on a contraption to attempt stretching it overnight. Will see tomorrow.
Silicon sealer cure time does not allow it to be fitted properly, it just dislodges again and again. Am very pissed.
I prefer not to use contact cement, seems unreliable to me.

Any suggestions about glue or anything to succeed are welcome.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:00 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Well known issues with the D2 sunroofs either the seal of the frame to the metal roof and/or the plastic drain tubes leaking/broken from the sub frame. There are plenty of fixes available on the web for both of these problems. LR have been aware of these issues since the trucks were first released and done NOTHING to resolve the problems unless you PAY for them to fix it. There is a well hidden LR technical bulletin on the sunroof leaks online. The costs to fix them via LR main agents are about £800 EACH and no guarantees it won't leak again.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The p/n for the seal is EEQ500010. They are around $45 each + shiping from http://landrovermerriamparts.com

Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Externet
Hi.
The 4 glass holding screws found to be finger tight. The cause seems to be its rubber washers collapsed with time, but that may not have been much of a problem.
Removed the glass, to have a good look at all, greased the sliding guides, mechanism and motor fine. Found a missing cushioning rubber in one guide pin, made one.
What size is the torx bolt for the glass?

Can you provide more details on how you made the rubber cushion?
My front sunroof clunks when it is tilted and I go over a bump. THE pass side has movement nest the rear pin. I guess I am missing the cushion also.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by acamato
What size is the torx bolt for the glass?

Can you provide more details on how you made the rubber cushion?
My front sunroof clunks when it is tilted and I go over a bump. THE pass side has movement nest the rear pin. I guess I am missing the cushion also.
The torx is T20. Discarded the screws and replaced with hexagonal head metric screws, now can be driven by a plain wrench from inside. Do not overtighten, the threads in the glass nuts are crap pot metal.

The rubber cushion that fits in a pin on the outer side of the sliding guide, if missing, may be fallen around -check- If not, a 4 mm long slice of thin wall hose (like aquarium hose) works well riding in the channel of the flass support. (look at the other side and duplicate the part)

Hope it helps.

As update, I did cut the rubber seal as left stretching overnight did nothing. Filled the now 4cm. gap with rubber and silicone.
Did this as silicone worked as lubricant while not cured and the seal dislodged itself easier than without it. Tried hot melt glue to fit the corners first and total failure. Hot glue did not stick to the groove nor the rubber.
Hope will stop the problem. If not, will post back...

The shrinkage of the rubber seal, coming out of its seating groove is what allowed rain to get in. The vehicle on a non flat surface (or not leveled, tail lower/deflated) is what prevented the (front located) drain tubes to drain. -As far as I can diagnose the crap-
So parking with front lower should not present the problem.

To glue the edges of the ceiling cloth to the ceiling fiberglass around the opening, in order to properly insert the trim, I did use small amounts of hot glue and held with fingers several seconds. That worked well.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the additional info. The glass bolts are in a tight spot. I am going to try to sung them with a T20 insert bit and a 1/4" wrench. Good idea on replacing them with hex head bolts.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle