Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its pouring: Head gasket, shuttle valve, and oxygen sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Its pouring: Head gasket, shuttle valve, and oxygen sensors

Yep the waiting has ended. They hit me all at once. Thank the universe for the local LR mechanic that no longer works at the dealership. Thought I'd share the repair story for others in the same boat.

1. Truck smelled like syrup, was losing coolant very slowly. Pressure test revealed a coolant leak from the head gasket. Fix: replace gasket and rebuild heads while in there. Said the engine looks fantastic but the valves were full of carbon as if I'd been running cheap gas. They're shiny like new now. Also, I previously had issues with throttle body gasket, so he went ahead and did the bypass to eliminate that concern.

2. 3 amigos hit with shuttle valve code. Came off and on randomly and repeatedly. Fix: He did Option B SVS fix and replaced valve seals.

3. Have a SES light with codes for right bank sensor and running lean. Didn't have new sensors on hand. He had a relatively new sensor that he threw in for free, knowing it was unlikely to work. Yep, SES light is back. Will buy two front sensors from Atlantic British and replace over the holidays.

Total cost including synthetic Rotella and Mobil filter: $1570.00

Most importantly, I can travel long distances and off road again without being paranoid. So sick of staring at that temp gauge! Plus the threat of 3 amigos at any moment and loss of TC certainly did not motivate me to stray off road.

I did ask for a Scangauge for Xmas though, to give me another set of eyes and so that I can keep track of and clear the oxygen sensor codes.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same here

Did a $3200 job on mine all good. Oil pan, front cover in addition to head and valley gasket as well as water pump, thermostat, hoses, plugs, and wires. I didn't want to chance coolant component failure after all this work. Mechanic said same about valves coated with carbon. Recommended a fuel additative to reduce carbon with every other tank of fuel. I am attacking the three amigos on my own.

Otherwise truck runs well.

Did post repair inspection and noted transfer case seeping - indicative of aging gaskets.

No SES codes yet but expect O2 sensors to be out of tolerance soon.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Winching

Wow thats hefty. Congrats. Can you tell the truck runs any differently?

What ABS codes are you throwing?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No abs reader so assumed shuttle valve. Replacement solved the problem. Three amigos gone so far.

Just replaced hand brake cable. Parts cost $79 labor on me.

Lubricated U joints and aft propeller shaft. Rotoflex has cracks so I will replace that later.

Considerable corrosion developing on under carriage. Workshop manual has sec ion on corrosion prevention. Also read about Robison's corrosion prevention service. Meanwhile I am treating with anti-corrosion material.

Truck runs great! Excellent performance in urban setting and really moves down the highway. Checked both sport mode in high range and manual mode in low range as well as hill descent. Had a bit of snow in Baltimore and got to test the ABS. All systems normal.

Need a front bumper cover due to damage in fog light area.

This vehicle is full mission capable.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Winching

Sounds like youre on top of it.

I got the front 02 sensors in from AB, but havent yet installed.