General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fluid pouring from under hood, what should we do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid pouring from under hood, what should we do?

My son drives a 1999 Discovery I that was running hot last week. He added some coolant on Thursday and has been driving it around without incident until this morning.

Everything was fine when he drove it to work, but about an hour later, on his way back from running an errand for his boss, he stopped at a fast food drive thru window. While he was in line, he heard a "dripping" sound. A few seconds later, liquid started pouring from underneath the hood and the engine started smoking. His workplace was right next door, so he pulled the car into the parking lot, which is where it is now.

I'm praying its something as simple as a themostat, but knowing my luck it's something much worse. But that's not my question.

I would like some advice from someone out there on what to do. I've got a LR mechanic close to my house, but it's about a 15 mile drive from my son's workplace. Should he refill the coolant and drive it to the shop or should I spend the money I don't really want to spend and have it towed?

He gets off at 1, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

if coolant is pouring out of it it could be a busted hose or if the T connector wasnt replaced that could have blown out. if the truck is not holding coolant then no don't drive it anywhere or he will toast the engine. have it flatbedded, NOT TOWED to the shop, or show up with a gallon of water find out where it is leaking and try to repair the hose connection in the parking lot, IF that is the problem in the first place.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why flat bed, not towed?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the truck is 4 wheel drive. if you want to have it towed then you should remove the rear drive shaft.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better buy him a Honda. It seems neither of you can diagnose an overheating condition, so why keep an old Land Rover that will only be a continuous source of problems that you are either unwilling or unable to solve yourself.

I don't mean to sound rude or condescending. For all I know you're a surgeon and your son's a lawyer -- far smarter than myself. But unless either of you enjoy wrenching on a project vehicle, what good does the old Discovery do?

FWIW, I wouldn't tow it. It overheated in the drive thru because there's insufficient air flowing through the radiator to cool the engine given the deficient state of the cooling system -- probably owing to a bad fan clutch. Your son topped off the surge tank enough that when it overheated the expansion resulted in overflowing. If you allow the vehicle to cool off and fill the coolant system to the level indicated on the tank and run the engine (before it overheats) and the engine is not pouring out coolant, then you can probably drive 15 miles to the mechanic. If it does pour coolant out when the cooled off engine is running, then it's not just overflowing but actually leaking and you'll have to find and fix the leak before you can drive it.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you do not have it flat bedded, because it is full time four wheel drive just like hilltopper said, you will ruin the transfer case.