Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Three Beeps - New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Three Beeps - New Owner

Hello everyone. I'm one week into owning a 2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE. I've had a lot of fun exploring both this forum and the truck. Today though, I ran into an issue that I can't figure out —*three random beeps NOT accompanied by a dashboard light.

It started after I was testing out the CDL. While testing (stationary in neutral), I was able to move into Low (with some resistance), which lit up what I believe is the differential lock warning. I put it back in High and the light went away. I tried locking the differential, but it wouldn't budge. I suspect it has NEVER been used on this Disco.

From there, I started to drive (in high, unlocked). And over the next 10 minutes or so, the Disco beeped three quick beeps several times. There was no rhyme or reason to this and there were no lights displayed. The truck seemed to be driving just fine. Any thoughts? Possibly some sensor?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you sure you got the t/case back into high not high lock.
What happens if you turn the steering wheel into a tight circle, does it turn smoothly or lurch?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

From owners manual under hill descent control:

NOTE: System faults which cause the ‘failure’
light to illuminate after the initial system
checks, or whilst driving, will be accompanied
by the warning chime sounding 3 times

Perhaps your light is burned out - or as one owner sent in - painted over....

Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Are you sure you got the t/case back into high not high lock.
What happens if you turn the steering wheel into a tight circle, does it turn smoothly or lurch?
Thanks for the response. I was never able to get the t/case into lock (lever won't budge to the left), but was able to shift into Low. Regardless, I'll try the tight circle test this morning and report back. I'm wondering if maybe when I put the lever back in High, I didn't get the lever 100% back to where it should be. I'll try shifting it back and forth a few times again. After all, I don't think the previous owners every shifted the t/case.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Perhaps your light is burned out - or as one owner sent in - painted over....
Thanks SB. I've seen a few of the posts, but all of the lights seem to be on. I DID see what I believe is the diff. lock light light up when I shifted into Low initially (I couldn't shift left -- into lock.). Is that the light you're referring to? Or just any possible light that could be related to the three beeps (e.g. ABS)?

Regarding that diff. lock light, I'm referring to the light in the far left of this picture. Note that this pic is not from my dash. I found this online. I do not have any of these other lights on.
http://www.discovery2.co.uk/images/difflight_web.jpg

Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

heres some pages from your owners manual, part of the RAVE package available for free download. There are several situations that ding three times. One is engage / disengage differential lock. Some others also bring on warning lights.

It also shows the pix of various warning lights at what they mean. This will be part of your diagnostics. Warning lights don't always come on if they have been removed, burned out, painted over to sell vehicle, etc.

Not saying you had an evil previous owner or deceptive Local Independent Auto Reseller (LIAR).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 warning pages.pdf (1.30 MB, 445 views)
Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Rock Crawling

The light may have been the t-box neutral light. The three beeps could be a faulty neutral switch. It tends to be an 03-04 update thing and the switches tend to function erratically and stick, I feel it's a varnish issue. Generally shifting between high and low, pausing in neutral will free it up, do this about 20 times. A replacement switch is a short-term solution and will do the exact same thing as the old in a few years. Given the fact a new switch is $175 it's just not worth it. Physically pulling and cleaning the switch has not proven more effective than the above solution.

Forgot to add there is a delay between the audible warning and the lamp.

Last edited by tee51397; 01-22-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by tee51397
Forgot to add there is a delay between the audible warning and the lamp.
Interesting. That seems to be the most logical explanation at this point given that this started right after I played with the shifter. I haven't had a chance to drive the truck today (which is killing me), but I'll try your suggestion too.

Savanah, thanks for the link. I did download the pdf version of the manual, but boy is it a thick read. It's certainly helpful to be pointed in the right direction.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Update: I tried Mike's tight turn test and everything was smooth. I also shifted between high, neutral, and low a handful of times. There's still some resistance, but not terribly so. The neutral light and warning went on and off as designed.

While driving to work, I got the three chimes a few times. The first one, oddly, was when I was rolling at about 20mph in traffic, straight, foot off the brake. The next few times it happened, I was taking a 90 degree turn and hit a few bumps. Last one was when I was pulling into a parking space. As before, there are no lights to accompany the chimes.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Ah hah, do you have any way to check your ABS codes, or even a standard code reader to see if there'a a rough road code in the ECM?

Quick Reply: Random Three Beeps - New Owner