Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle/clatter at hot idle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Man, I thought that we had this all figured out in another thread? Sounds like your Rover is driving you bonkers.....

All your exhaust bolts tight?
bonkers is an understatment, all bolts seem good. Did you hear the audio clip?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 94svt50
bonkers is an understatment, all bolts seem good. Did you hear the audio clip?
I am sticking to my original post on page 1. My truck sounds EXACTLY like your video clip. When the truck "decides" to make this rapping noise, I open the hood only to hear nothing but normal engine noise. The second I start ducking down to slide under the truck I start to hear the rapping, especially at the driver's side front wheel liner, then again when I am lying on my back staring up at the oil pan.

I purchased an auto-stethoscope and held it to the side of the engine block, oil pan, and heads and could NOT pin-point the rapping noise.

I did the ATF flush, switched to Rotella 5w-40 Sync and it has been fine since. I hope I didn't just jinx myself with this statement. Keep in mind, I change the oil 5 times (driving a maximum of 500 miles) after the ATF flush.

To date all is well, and i am very pleased. Keep you posted if it starts rapping again.

I'm not staying my method will yield results for you. Just sharing my experience.

My truck sounded exactly like yours prior to me flushing the engine. I will say that my truck still sounds like a diesel when at operating temps, but it does not rattle anymore. I can live with that. Good Luck.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks. Sounds just like mine, exactly the same locations of the sound and I have also spent hours with a dowel rod trying to pinpoint the sound without any luck. Its just mine started the noise after I switched to the rotella 5w-40. So, maybe the original oil had some kind of snake oil or the thinner synthetic disloged some derbis.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
That sounds 100% like mine and at least one other I have heard.
Which one?

All kidding aside, mine has been ticking for the last 48,000 miles now. Yup, you read that right, 48,000 miles! The dealer wanted to put a new engine in it back in 2008 at 45k, but I was a few months out of warranty so LRNA wouldn't foot the bill- they offered me $2,000 towards the repair ($10k at the dealer) or towards a new Land Rover/Jaguar product. I decided to take my chances and that's the last time the dealer ever saw my truck. It's still a disturbing (and sometimes embarrassing) sound, but the truck runs great in spite of it. I'm friends with the owner of a local Independent LR shop, he and the tech working for him are both LR Certified Master Techs, and they tore into an '03 making the same noise and went through everything only to find that everything looked good! The best guess is that it is piston skirts or wrist pins, but not ultimately life-threatening to the engine. Just obnoxious.

If you find otherwise, then please, do tell!

Last edited by Disco_Fever; 03-16-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm knew here but this sounds like the same problem on my wife's 04. I noticed the problem after I had a small leak in a radiator hose and lost all most all my coolant and had that noise start up. I had a local shop that my father-in-law has know for years and he refilled it with the green stuff and did a pressure test to find the leak. Well as I was driving home that night the same noise you have started up, only at stop lights and maybe till i hit about 1200-1500 rpm. Well I figured see if the thermo was out on the hose that does not go to the pump and after replacing it and making sure all the air was out of the lines the noise has gone away. Not sure if this is the same problem but it might help out. Good luck

Old 03-17-2011, 06:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by esbailey
I know I'm knew here but this sounds like the same problem on my wife's 04. I noticed the problem after I had a small leak in a radiator hose and lost all most all my coolant and had that noise start up. I had a local shop that my father-in-law has know for years and he refilled it with the green stuff and did a pressure test to find the leak. Well as I was driving home that night the same noise you have started up, only at stop lights and maybe till i hit about 1200-1500 rpm. Well I figured see if the thermo was out on the hose that does not go to the pump and after replacing it and making sure all the air was out of the lines the noise has gone away. Not sure if this is the same problem but it might help out. Good luck
Thanks for all the replys so far. Could be it was running hotter with the air in the lines and once things where fixed the engine temps dropped enough the sound went away. On mine the engine has to be warm to make the sound.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I took it back to the small independent rover repair and sales lot that I bought it from to get them to listen to it. Their mechanic confirmed its the dreaded tick noise. He said he has in the past completely taken apart these engines trying to find the noise, but has never been able to find anything wrong on the inside. Thinking about trading it back in on an '01 with lower miles, but not sure. At least with the one i have now the head gaskets are new and I like the look of the '03/04 better. But, this noise worries me. It seems to be getting louder.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure lower mileage is the answer. Check out my thread if you haven't already.
I'm due to pick mine up later today. I'll let you know what happens...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36839

Taking a day-cation Saturday, interested to see how the engine holds together after the lifters and rocker shafts have been replaced on a long haul.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I changed the oil today back to 15w40 to see if that might make it a touch quieter. I cleaned out my oil drain pan very well since I want to make sure there was no derbis in the oil and after I drained the oil I noticed alot of tiny sparkles in the oil and some larger metal flakes. Is it normal to have metal bits in the oil? I dont think so. I cut the oil filter in half to see what was in it but, it was for the most part clean. So, you folks with the dreaded tick are you getting metal bits in your oil?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Metal flakes are not normal. I filtered my oil that I drained last and there were no metal pieces or filings in.

Quick Reply: Rattle/clatter at hot idle.