Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default nope

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
You have to do that to a Defender to rig it out too...Your argument is falling apart

A defender stock is about $25,000.00 if you can find one to steel.. If i add $6,000.00 in mods to it it's now worth $31,000.00 . and will be worth more next year..

My $8,000.00 DII 04 will be worth $6k next year....

Hate throwing good money after bad...

Old 08-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah I see you may be right about that not being a rebuilt.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
A defender stock is about $25,000.00 if you can find one to steel.. If i add $6,000.00 in mods to it it's now worth $31,000.00 . and will be worth more next year..

My $8,000.00 DII 04 will be worth $6k next year....

Hate throwing good money after bad...
you never get your money back out of mods...not even with defenders..maybe 50% at best and defenders don't appreciate in value...yeah you can pick one up for $25K....how much do you think it cost new?

I do agree though that they hold their value better than discos once they reach that $25k price point

Old 08-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default your kidding right...

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
you never get your money back out of mods...not even with defenders..maybe 50% at best and defenders don't appreciate in value...yeah you can pick one up for $25K....how much do you think it cost new?

I do agree though that they hold their value better than discos once they reach that $25k price point

i dont know whats happing in georga but i can tell you in miami they appreciate by the day..they are about 20 of them around me...two good friends own two of them and if they dont get a offer or two every single day they are driving them.... its a blue moon....For $25,000.00 you get a fixer upper... I met a guy 2 weeks ago at a burger place and asked him about his...he said the same offers up the kazu...it had 240k on it and was mint...said he was going to die with it.....

oh, they hold there value better than any LR made.... You can get LR3's now here for 15k.....yea ...really hold there value

Last edited by vandev; 08-13-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default getting to big..

I think this thread is getting a bit big for a battle of the witts....Is it worth it...yes and no...Ones man princess is another mans pig....I bought a owned a few of these trucks and for one reason...the picture below...that pretty much will sum up the reason most people back in the day as myself... bought a LR... It was a way of life..a journey.... a way to explore life.....

Today..well........ if i see one more getto RR with 22's or chrome.... i am going to pull out a tow missle..and evaporate the thing... what a shame...peoples taste has really come to an all time low to glorify prison style...

Last edited by vandev; 08-13-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:12 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what year defenders are you talking about? mid 90s? yeah those sell for $25k but how much did they originally cost to import here?

Old 08-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's well worth it personally. But then again my truck has no real problems, and I have enough knowledge to ensure that it never does, or to at least be able to fix it if the major problems arise. Basically it sounds like Vandev takes issue with the motor. Sort out the motor, for what looks to be 6k entirely rebuilt with top hat liners, and now you have no problems. Add a CDL, lift kit, tires, front and rear bumpers, put your spare on your friggin hood if you want. It's still less then a Defender. Maybe Land Rover screwed the pooch with the Discovery, or maybe Vandev bought a piece of crap, who knows. Mine rides nice, runs cool, and gets me where I need to go, turning heads the entire way. If you're worried about what kelly blue book says is the value of your car, then you are worried about the wrong thing anyway. You will never get the money out of a vehicle that you put in it, but then again thats not why you buy a vehicle in the first place. You buy one, to get from one place to another, thats the true value of a vehicle, transportation simple as that. I happen to think my Disco handles that better then anything I've ever driven.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:12 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by timdunbar
or maybe Vandev bought a piece of crap, who knows..
Thats about 99% of the problem.
He could start his own forum with all the issues he's had.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default i could as well as others..

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Thats about 99% of the problem.
He could start his own forum with all the issues he's had.

That is true but just look 5 pages back threw our forums...it's like a who's who of motor's going to crap....

Old 08-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
In some small way some of what you say is true..you just left out that when you do show up in your DII and the other guys have defenders..you feel like you really own a camry....
I take my D2 the same places my friends take their defenders, and I do it in a LOT more comfort !!

Quick Reply: Is it really worth it?