Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:59 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to give ya props on the prop shaft rebuild...I was going to try it myself then read its a PITA to get those center ***** out so I pulled it out and took it to a local driveshaft shop..the guy there did confirm it was a PITA when I picked it up.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i know that

Originally Posted by timdunbar
Vandev computers aren't what cause the DII's engine problems I thought you said it was the lack of top hat liners, get a machine shop to install some top hat liners and you have a bullet proof 4.6, with computers.

i know computers arent the cause of my engine problems..LR is....Top hat liners is about the only fix before getting another crap designed engine.. getting rid of computers is expedition reliability... I am in the process of stripping my block and will do a pressure leak test before i waste money on anything else. taking the front cover i see now will be replacing the timing chain as it has streached which means sproket and well might as well do cam and if you do cam ...well lifters.....it looks like a full rebuild.. Then i can sell it....

Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with discovery are the owners. Most people purchased them a couple of years ago for double of what they are worth now and they are super reluctant to spend money on them knowing they aren't work half of what they paid for the truck. Most owners have no mechanical abilities and rely on very expensive mechanics so they don't even take the truck to a shop unless it stops in the middle of the highway with coolant puking all over the place. It really isn't a bad truck, mine has 165K miles, everything works, nothing leaks all the suspension bushings/ball joints are original. The engine did take a dump on a previous owner because he didn't change the head gaskets in time and overheated it. I take mine off road almost every weekend and it has never left me stranded. Discovery is definitely not forgiving like some other trucks out there but what other truck can you buy that has seating for 7, great off read, great in snow, good looking, luxury and cheap to buy? The main problem with Discovery is the engine, if the engine was better I bet they would be selling for twice as much.

Last edited by DiscoArt; 08-18-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 AM
wrp
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoArt
The problem with discovery are the owners. Most people purchased them a couple of years ago for double of what they are worth now and they are super reluctant to spend money on them knowing they aren't work half of what they paid for the truck. Most owners have no mechanical abilities and rely on very expensive mechanics so they don't even take the truck to a shop unless it stops in the middle of the highway with coolant puking all over the place. It really isn't a bad truck, mine has 165K miles, everything works, nothing leaks all the suspension bushings/ball joints are original. The engine did take a dump on a previous owner because he didn't change the head gaskets in time and overheated it. I take mine off road almost every weekend and it has never left me stranded. Discovery is definitely not forgiving like some other trucks out there but what other truck can you buy that has seating for 7, great off read, great in snow, good looking, luxury and cheap to buy? The main problem with Discovery is the engine, if the engine was better I bet they would be selling for twice as much.
Ha!

Your first sentence start off with "The problem with discovery are the owners." and then as you're writing your post you seem to come to reality in your last sentence: "The main problem with Discovery is the engine"

I bought a new '99 D2 for about $40,000 USD (my wife wanted it), or for $5,000 more I could have bought a Land Cruiser (my choice). Which do you think would be better now?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrp
Ha!

Your first sentence start off with "The problem with discovery are the owners." and then as you're writing your post you seem to come to reality in your last sentence: "The main problem with Discovery is the engine"

I bought a new '99 D2 for about $40,000 USD (my wife wanted it), or for $5,000 more I could have bought a Land Cruiser (my choice). Which do you think would be better now?
Wow, sorry about your choice. I hope that included an extended warranty!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 PM
wrp
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sticker price was about $43,000. This is with third row seats, 2 sunroofs, sls, leather, no ace. But I did buy the warranty for about $1800, and I got about $5000 work out of it.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:00 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by wrp

Which do you think would be better now?
Better in what way?
Value? Ability?
In some ways it'd be the rover is other ways its be the Toyota.
I'd chose the Disco for Ability, looks, heritage, ect.
The toyota for value and reliability.
However, I didn't buy my Disco with value in mind, I bought it to off road and have an amazing looking vehicle.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrp
Sticker price was about $43,000. This is with third row seats, 2 sunroofs, sls, leather, no ace. But I did buy the warranty for about $1800, and I got about $5000 work out of it.
That's good you got the warranty and it worked to your benefit. I haven't heard of a lot of one owner discos that old.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrp
Ha!

You are right, engine is the main problem. There is nothing else really wrong with these trucks other than the outdated engine. Everything else is not less reliable than it is on a BMW X5 of the same vintage.

Owners are also a huge issue, you have no idea how many people I've met trying to sell their truck that know nothing about it and have a general attitude of not spending a dime on it.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DiscoArt
You are right, engine is the main problem. There is nothing else really wrong with these trucks other than the outdated engine. Everything else is not less reliable than it is on a BMW X5 of the same vintage.

Owners are also a huge issue, you have no idea how many people I've met trying to sell their truck that know nothing about it and have a general attitude of not spending a dime on it.

"There is nothing else really wrong with these trucks other than the outdated engine. "

Are you kidding me??????? from drive shaft to computer, window reg, transfer case, sun roof, good god... to memtion only a few....these rigs are flee ridden with problems....the only reason this model has more law suits and you dont hear about them is they have not killed anyone...they barley made it 10 years... the defender has been since the early 80's....they dont discontinue a model because it's doing well...i am pretty sure soccer moms husbands got tired of taking it in the *** ....

I mean that was there target market....

Quick Reply: Is it really worth it?