Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear door latch

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door latch

Hey,

I am new to the forum and I need some help. I have a 95' Disco with a rear door that will not open with the interior or exterior handles. I have taken the interior cover off the door to get to the lock hardware and tried to pop the lock and still no luck. I have spray down the latches with WD-40 and tried to tear down the locking hardware per the dealer guide and still no luck. Does anyone have any ideas on getting the rear door to open? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear door latch

This may be stupid but it is a plcae to start, is it unlocked (the actual rear door) and child safe is not on? Your rear door lock may not be working and it is locked so you can't open from outside, and child safe is on so you cant open from inside. If that is not it then i don't know i will look for a good diagram for you.

Old 04-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Mudding

The dealer fixes it cheap, i was about to buy a SII, and i saw a lr with the hatch that was broken, and it wouldnt open smoothly. He apprently got a quote from the dealer saying it can be fixed for less then $50.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Mudding

Since it sounds like you have pulled the trim panel off already, and looked at the mechanism, I assume you are comfortable with doing it again. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. The latch mechanism was worn and the catch was too far gone to use. I replaced it. Not too difficult, but two pieces of advice:

1. Take a few pictures of the connection layout with a digital camera. There are like four metal pull arms that have to be assembled correctly after the install. It is easy to get it mixed up.

2. Buy several of the panel rivets/connectors, as you will invariably break a few in the process of removing the panel.

Job takes about 1 hour, and the part is about $150 at a dealer.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Rock Crawling

had a similar problem with my 96. The latch mechanism stuck. I took a screwdriver and gently put the door handle in the correct position. It worked for me.
after I got it opened I w/d40'd the heck out of both the handle hardware and latch mechanism. no problem since. My understanding is that this is more common is cold climates. Maintanence is key with the disco. Key the moving parts clean and well lubed. If you are not comfortable with this let the dealer handle it. Mine showed me how to. Hope it helps. duboff