Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear door latch problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door latch problem

The rear door handle on my 2000 Disco is sticking. Whenever I open the door, the handle sticks up, and I have to manually pull it back down (which is tough, since it recesses pretty far into the housing). Is this something that can be fixed with a fe sprays of WD-40, or am I looking at a more complex issue?

Old 11-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Nux
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear door latch problem

WD-40 works nicely, but doesn't last long because it dries up in a few weeks (it's also slightly corrosive). I just sprayed some lithium grease on the pivot points, and it's been like butter for over a month now. Use the stuff in a can with a straw dispenser nozzle. Comes out liquid but gets viscous after a few mins... Works mint!

Daniel

Old 11-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Mudding

Lithium grease, huh? Probably keeps the door from getting depressed, as well. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try!

Old 12-01-2005, 02:39 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I also have a 2000 DiscoII, and when I bought it from the dealer, the rear door latch was stuck and we couldnt open it. I guess its a common problem. The dealer fixed it before I bought it, so I guess I cant really offer any tips besides agreeing with the lithium grease.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Mudding

The lithium grease did the trick. Took a little while to ooze in and set up, but it's smooth now. Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-22-2006, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

My rear door latch is stuck up for the third time the first two it kind of unstuck but read now to do lithium spray. where do we spray it assuming the handle is stuck all the way up and the door cannot be opened? Do I spray above the handle and try to get it inside somehow or along the door crack where it latches? Thanks as this is really frustrating as we got this specifically to make it easy on our 11 year old dog to get in the back.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Drifting

my prob is my lock doens't always fully unlock. I greased it and it fixed it . . . for a while. It sucks having to pull the rear panel off every time.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:08 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: kimbajmann

My rear door latch is stuck up for the third time the first two it kind of unstuck but read now to do lithium spray. where do we spray it assuming the handle is stuck all the way up and the door cannot be opened? Do I spray above the handle and try to get it inside somehow or along the door crack where it latches? Thanks as this is really frustrating as we got this specifically to make it easy on our 11 year old dog to get in the back.
Another way to lubricate the latch is to pop off the Land Rover badge/crest on the latch housing. Use a screwdriver and pop it off easy. You can manually push the latch back to its home position. This will allow you to work the latch back and forth while your lubricating it. It may be a bit rusty in there.

browner.