Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Folding Seat Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Folding Seat Problems

Lucky me worked on the girlfriends honeydo list for her disco II today. One of the problems is the rear seat. The lever at the back of the seat feels like it is bound up on something and doesn't allow the latch at the top to work properly. I lubed everything up that I could see but nothing helped.

I'm wondering if the rear lever, the one at floor level, got bent somehow and that might be causing the binding. If that's the case how do I take it all apart to get in there and bend it strait?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketScott
Lucky me worked on the girlfriends honeydo list for her disco II today. One of the problems is the rear seat. The lever at the back of the seat feels like it is bound up on something and doesn't allow the latch at the top to work properly. I lubed everything up that I could see but nothing helped.

I'm wondering if the rear lever, the one at floor level, got bent somehow and that might be causing the binding. If that's the case how do I take it all apart to get in there and bend it strait?
Is the seat not latching to the floor? When I was messing with the seats on mine, I had to slam the crap out of the passenger side one to get it to let me fold the seat open. Hit it with a shot of WD-40, and see if that helps. If it is bent, I say just use a screwdriver or crowbar and bend it back into place. To hell with ripping the whole floor out.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:39 PM
4wd Low

I've taken the back and bottom covers and the two plastic side caps off. Sprayed LPS2 on anything moving and into the cables. Still no luck. The latch near the floor on the back of the seat feels really tight compared to the other side. I tried prying it away from the part of the mechanism that it rubs against without any luck.

If I move the lever around I can get it to latch to the floor. Wiggle it some more to get the back to lock up strait.

It looks like the hinges are part of the frame. Not sure how to open them up. No details in the RAVE.

There's probably a penny wedged in there or something. I'm going out to the shop now to tear into it some more.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
4wd Low

An update on what I did last night...

So to fix the problem I had to tear the seat completely down. With the cushions off I could get to the hinges. Apparently it wasn't the part of the lever that pokes out the back of the seat. Rather, it was the part of the same lever that sticks up to make contact with the seat back (or squab if you're a limey). From the looks of things someone tried forcibly to raise the seat back without the seat being fully locked down to the floor. This caused the catch on the seat back to bend the top of the lever arm.

So with the lever arm bent strait and the burrs filed down smooth everything works again.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Drifting

I think I may have the same issue. I'm a little unclear with the terminology being used here. The LATCH is the pop-up latch on the top of the seat that allows the seat back to come down and the LEVER is at the bottom back with a strap that brings the seat forward? I can get the seat to lock down and pull up with the lever to release it from the floor, however I cannot get the seat back to lock into place (thus causing the latch to retract and not show the red surface).

So when you talk about the "lever arm", which part are you speaking of?

With a baby arriving in July, I need to get this fixed or the Disco goes when the baby comes. Help a brother out; I don't want to drive a van