Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Best4x4, thanks for the eBay seller name.

Exernet, I don't understand. Why is grease needed? And why does the pic you included show a tube of black RTV? Thanks.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Camel Trophy

I removed the RR sensor this evening to have a look and, no surprise, there was no visible problem with it. I tried to disconnect and reconnect the harness connector but I couldn't figure out how to unplug it. The only clue I found is the little square hole shown in the picture. Do I need to insert something into the hole to release the connector? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement-photo63.jpg  
Old 12-25-2017, 09:23 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Nothing all that special to get the connector to separate. Just take it out of the clip, grab both ends, and pull it apart.
Don't twist it, just pull it straight/level apart.
The plastic and O ring can get dry, and a little WD40 will help the connector to come apart faster.
But 9 time out of 10 you won't need WD40.

Last edited by OverRover; 12-25-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Here is what I did as I was worried about prying or breaking the existing connector.

I took my dremel and carefully cut away the boot that goes over the connection. Took about 5 extra minutes for each side.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
...Exernet, I don't understand. Why is grease needed? And why does the pic you included show a tube of black RTV? Thanks.
Much better if the hub bearings are lubricated after years running with no grease fitting from factory, and when the sensors are out, that is the opportunity moment.
The silicone tube is only to show the source of a proper/convenient plastic nozzle to fit on a grease gun tip to dispense/inject into the sensor hole.
Silicone not to be applied.

Last edited by Externet; 12-26-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:30 PM
Camel Trophy

I battled the right rear wheel speed sensor Three Amigos fault for months. I tried disconnecting, cleaning and reconnecting the factory connector. The Boys from South of the Border would stay away for days or weeks but always came back. I bought and installed a new front wheel speed sensor, but the Three Amigos came back again, very soon. Best4x4 advocates splicing in a new wheel speed sensor using 3M heat shrink butt connectors. I'm confident they would have worked well, but given the limited length of the harness-side wiring I went with the waterproof connectors linked below. I solder-spliced about 8 inches of the wire from the old wheel speed sensor into the harness-side wiring to give more length to work with, then installed the new waterproof connectors using heat-shrink tubing to enhance it being waterproof. The new connector even fit into the mount for the original connector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777FBGT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777FBGT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Thumbnails Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement-photo853.jpg  

Last edited by mln01; 10-25-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yeah basically I only buy Front ABS sensors for my D2’s. Longer so no worries about over-extending them on my lifted D2’s and more wire if I need to splice them.

All of my 02 Kalahari OEM ABS sensor plugs are falling apart, so I replaced the rear units with front ABS lines then with 3M butt connectors (staggered as to be narrow) and the 2 wire trailer wiring connectors along with black heat shrink I made em look OEM. Work great & no more brittle plugs. I’d have used the connectors mentioned above, but I had plenty of the 2 wire trailer harnesses for Option B Mod’s so I used them.

At HCRR we had several rotoflex failures, an LR3 blew an airbag, and several D2 ABS sensors got ripped apart after flexing. I was happy to report my only damage was the rear fender/rocker trim broke off. I never hit anything they just broke from all the jarring down the trail/creek beds. Picked up 3 at LKQ for 10.00 so I’m good to go!

Old 10-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Winching
Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

I think both of my rear sensors are bad, to fix them what would you suggest? , bypass the plug by splicing wires or run it all the way to the slab?

Old 10-22-2018, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I use the 20.00 a pair front aftermarket sensors in the rear. If your OEM plugs are jacked up get the plugs like mln01 used and call it a day. I prefer having plugs vs them running all the way back to the SLABS Unit personally.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Well, this isn't going well.

After an initial 2-3 mile test drive last evening all seemed well, but when I went out to drive the truck to work this morning the Amigos came on immediately. I drove my other car to work today, and this evening I connected the AutoCom Delphi interface and software and got "68-Unknown Fault Code."

That's not helpful.

I disconnected and reconnected the connector more than once and cleared the code, but it came back instantly each time.

I'm reasonably confident the problem has something to do with the problematic RR wheel speed sensor, but I post this in case one of you may have encountered something similar. Stay tuned. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement