Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild brake calipers? my three amigos fix hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Not sure if you have an Oreillys Auto Parts in your part of the country?, but I bought these kits for around 7 bucks a piece or something...I think the rears were even cheaper?? anyway, one of my rears was sticking, and after taking it apart, the piston would bind all by itself (no seals) when you would try to slide it back and forth in the caliper bore. I took my wheel brake cylinder hone, and honed it with dot4 for a second, checked with piston, bored for another second, then wall-la, the piston smoothly slid into the bore.

This is the most affordable way to fix your brake caliper issues..By the way, my sticky rear caliper was basically brand new from the PO!! Not sure what your going to get from the parts store.....

Air pressure is the correct way to remove your pistons, but in my case, the binding piston would not come out with air, so I did what Is1morethanyou did. Be careful when beating the pistons out, they are soft metal.

Good write up Is1morethanyou
i guess i had a bad taste in my mouth while trying to locate all four caliper bolt/pin combos i didnt check for the kit there. i drove all over dfw- several stores to get the rear bolt and pin rebuild kits and then on to two different autozones for the front- i said f it and went to ebay to order the rest.

Deff way cheaper at Oreilly's
Brake Caliper Repair Kit - 2000 Land Rover Discovery | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure that right rear hub is good?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I didnt know you could buy the guide pins? I had one up front that was bent (no idea how)??? I straightened best I could, but the bushings were already kinda toasty...It seems to be working good for now though....

Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by GROVERDISCO
You sure that right rear hub is good?
yes, as it was replaced with a known good one, the hub that was removed had slight play but nothing serious still gave me the abs code for the rear right.

before this mudding trip- i replaced the front rotors/pads and the three amigos went away

(i had not checked the front pads and rotor on the rover as when i pulled the rears they were both new and that was not the case for the front. the pads had 1/4 on them and the rotors were dug in bad- the front left caliper guide pin is also seized.)

after the mudding trip i decided to wash the calipers and mud off the truck- bad idea as the seals for the calipers were torn- didnt really pay attention to them- and mud/dirt got in and they are partially seized. sometimes they arent bad but others you can tell there are issues.

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
I didnt know you could buy the guide pins? I had one up front that was bent (no idea how)??? I straightened best I could, but the bushings were already kinda toasty...It seems to be working good for now though....
I found them because my front left guide pin is seized and i wanted to replace it so i could save the bracket- ended up buying the caliper sets just to replace the entire system when i realized they were all partially seized.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by drowssap
might i suggest a different way to remove the pistons with less damage. put a 1/2 inch block of plywood in the caliper where the shoe would fit and blow air into the opening for the brake hose. the air will push the piston out of the caliper.
almost the same going back, replace all your seals, hold the piston lightly again the dust boot while slowly blowing air into the hole. this will push the dust seal out and over the edge of the piston, now you can just slide them in place.
Good one drowssap. Excellent tip.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:32 PM

Nice job ls1morethanyou, but in all honesty I don't believe the caliper rebuild will solve your amigos problem as that is usually electrical/electronic related as oppose to mechanical and more often than not the ABS system SVS or wheel sensors/tone ring. It can also be a duff battery output causing ECU gremlins.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Nice job ls1morethanyou, but in all honesty I don't believe the caliper rebuild will solve your amigos problem as that is usually electrical/electronic related as oppose to mechanical and more often than not the ABS system SVS or wheel sensors/tone ring. It can also be a duff battery output causing ECU gremlins.
Well the electronics were working fine and you can feel the truck pull weird when the pads drag and disengage. So we will see.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
Well the electronics were working fine and you can feel the truck pull weird when the pads drag and disengage. So we will see.
I'm not trying to put a dampener on your endeavors and I sincerely hope your conclusion is correct but I've never yet come across rotors or calipers affecting the 3 amigos situation. Good luck and hope it works out.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I'm not trying to put a dampener on your endeavors and I sincerely hope your conclusion is correct but I've never yet come across rotors or calipers affecting the 3 amigos situation. Good luck and hope it works out.
seeing as how when i did the front rotors it fixed it- they were dug in like you wouldnt believe. i am hopeful it will work. we will find out tomorrow!

Old 09-07-2014, 03:13 AM
Winching

i finished the ordeal

three amigos are still here as is the same sound i had heard before when the caliper would drag just slightly less.

same 47 rear right output too low error, so now on to another sensor before i buy another hub.