Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt engine=no start and f2 fuse popping

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonight I will try removing the fuel relay and having someone turn the key while listening for main relay. If it isn't coming on what does that tell me ? I read some last night about the eka code. I am calling the dealer today to try and get it so I rule that out as well.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I am suspectting main relay is not coming on first.
What has me puzzled is that he is getting 5.6v on terminal 85. If the main relay was not closing, he would be getting no voltage at that terminal. Should he not be getting battery voltage at terminal 85 when the main relay closes, or is it possible there is a voltage drop between the main relay and the fuel pump relay?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I would think that with a DVM, which places almost no load on the circuit being tested, that reading 12 volts on one side of the relay coil - you would expect 0 volts or close to it on the ground side. If the ECM was not present (open connection) he would read the 12 volts "thru" the coil. So the 5.6 volts is from a "partial" ground being supplied by the ECM. This could be crud on circuit board, bad electronic parts, etc. But most 12 volt relays won't pull in with 7 volts applied.

As a test, he could measure the volts across the coil (85 / 86) of the main relay, and the cranking relay. The BCU is supplying the ground to the crank relay, and he is able to crank. Bet the crank relay reads about 12 volts when energized.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Mudding

So I didn't get anything done tonight. But tomorrow I plan to have a helper crank the key while I check for spark. I am still not hearing the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key on like when I jump across the relay. This seems weird to me because I am getting some fuel at the schrader valve, but not like it should be. I am going to use voltmeter tomorrow to test for 12 volts at the pump. I called two dealers and the both said they never heard of the EKA code and had no way to retrieve it. I called LRusa and they said I had to contact a dealer to get the code. BUT since the red LED on the dash isn't coming on it should mean I am not having a security issue is that right ?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

No red light is good, should not be alarm issue. I think there is a generic code, you can probably search forum, there have been some right ups.

On yours, if turning on key does not bring on the main relay - we have to fix that first. Would be good to know if we are getting spark, but I suspect not. The ECM controls that as well. When main relay turns on, the fuel pump relat is enabled and should operate - again when the ECM decides to.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Mudding

ill check tomorrow night for spark. will go from there

Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Before you start, please check fuses again, in the underhood box. F1 and F12 are needed to power the ECM, if it has no juice, it can't operate the relays. With what's been going on, might have another fuse or two that have popped.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Mudding

Will do. I will check all the fuses, check and see if I am getting spark while cranking, check if I am getting 12v at the pump while cranking etc. I still can't help but think this is related to not having the right key for this thing. Would having a remote keyless entry key help in this situation?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

At the moment I am away from my RAVE, but I recall that the key talks to the BCU through the coil around the key lock on the column,, and exchanges coded info with the ECM, to re-sync or something, part of the immobilzation system. Might have to check that area if you have the whole download. Which engine is the ECU from - old or replacement?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Savannah, I read through that portion of RAVE just now:
The input to the passive remobilisation exciter coil from the BCU is a 12 volts 125 kHz sinewave. The passive
remobilisation exciter coil also receives an ignition controlled power supply via fuse 20 (15 amperes) located in the
engine compartment fuse box. On receiving these signals, a magnetic field is generated which activates the handset
to produce a remobilisation signal. This remobilisation signal is transmitted to the remote receiver and onto the BCU
to allow the engine to start.

However, I know that I can get a normal key cut at a locksmith that will start my vehicle; there is no transponder chip in the key blade that has to correspond to the ignition system like a lot of newer vehicles.

Ruff: when you lock the doors with the key, what does the alarm light do? and when you unlock the doors with the key?

Edit: I don't think this is an immobilisation issue because:
Passive immobilisation
Passive immobilisation prevents the vehicle from being started unless the authorised key is used to start the vehicle.
There are only two configurations for passive immobilisation:
l passive immobilisation not active
l passive immobilisation active
When the ignition is switched off, the vehicle remains mobilised for up to a maximum of 5 minutes. If however the
driver's door is opened, after 2 minutes 30 seconds, the vehicle remains in a mobilised state for a further 30 seconds.
When the timer in the BCU has expired, the vehicle is immobilised.
Once the ignition is switched on, the BCU transmits a coded signal to the ECM. If the coded signal does not
correspond to the programmed code in the ECM, the ECM is inhibited and the BCU inhibits the starting circuit.
In order for passive immobilisation to occur, the following conditions must be met:
l Driver's door closed.
l Fuel cut-off switch not tripped.
l Key not inserted in ignition.
Passive remobilisation
Whenever the vehicle is immobilised, passive remobilisation of the engine occurs when the ignition is switched on,
allowing the vehicle to be started.
There are three configurations for passive remobilisation:
l Passive immobilisation not active.
l Passive immobilisation active.
l EKA with super locking on receiving good passive remobilisation exciter coil signal.
The BCU controls the passive remobilisation exciter coil (located around the ignition barrel) to generate a magnetic
field which causes the handset to transmit a remobilisation signal. The BCU receives the signal and allows the vehicle
to be started. If a valid signal from the handset is not received within one minute of the ignition being switched to
position II, the BCU stops the passive coil from generating the magnetic field.

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 10-06-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt engine=no start and f2 fuse popping