Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redesigned Oil Pump for '03 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Redesigned Oil Pump for '03 Disco

if you are that curious, go talk to your local service manager. There is a lot build number stamped on the drivers side of the block. There should be a date on the block. This won't tell you when it was assembled, but it will tell you when the block was made, and if the problem was machining the block, this will tell you what you want to know.

Every make has had its own share of hiccups. This isn't just LR. FYI, Ford owned LR during this time, and my dad has an 03 Expedition. He has to run 5W20 or it loses the cams. A shop accidentally put 5W30 in, and it sounded like a typewriter. They just replaced the engine. Machine shops suck. Everything gets messed up, that's why we have warranties. Just extend the warranty or get something else....

just my 2 cents...

Old 10-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that info. I'll have them run that lot # for peace of mind.

I really like the truck and I'm going to keep it. I just want to hedge against the known issues. As I've posted here before, it's not like these kinds of flaws and failures areunique to Land Rover. I've alreadybeen down this road with my Jeep...to the tune of $5,000.

I'll definitely be getting an extended warranty, but probably just one of the basic ones that covers the engine componets, oil pump, ect. They run about $1,000, So if the engine does fail and they find some obscure BS reason to deny the claim it won't be as bad as if I had paid the $2,500 + they want for the more comprehensive plans. (I'm talking about Independant warranty company here, as I don't think LR offer extended manufacturers warranty after the original factory warranty has already expired.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just be sure to use a good oil filter like a K&N or Mobile 1 to prevent dry starts, and change your oil religiously. I personally run synthetics and know for a fact it reduces engine wear, but you can't run extended drains, so it is a little cost prohibitive for some.

I have an RP distributorship, so I get the oil for next to nothing. After using it, I would pay the $7.25 a quart to keep using it...

Old 05-12-2008, 03:12 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is looking for a new Oil Pump for an '03 Discovery, I happen to have one to sell. I had the oil pump failure on my '03 that they originally thought that they could repair without replacing the whole engine. Unfortunately, a new engine did have to be ordered ($8000) and it included an oil pump.

So, I have a brand new oil pump on my hands that they only time used was when it was mounted for testing and then removed. The vehicle wasn't even driven with the pump. The water pump wasn't even attached yet.

If anyone is interested in buying this pump, feel free to e-mail me at: srbarney@shryan.com or replying to this post.