Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reducing underhood temperature

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Esteban
Mine are mounted over the exhaust manifolds, also to keep engine temps lower I have installed an 8x11 oil cooler. With these two mods the aux. fan comes on much less. After having had a slipped liner, I'm a little worried with the high temps of summer coming on.
Any pics?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
Hmmm, my wifes 95 BMW 525i has 189k on the engine. Other than scheduled routine maintenance, all I have done to the engine is recently change the valve cover gasket. It doesn't burn or drip oil and runs like a top. My 97 D1 has recently had a new water pump, head gaskets and master cylinder with 139k, but also runs like a top. Late in the day the hood will burn your hand when you try to open it.
I think BMW does one hell of a job at making cars and motor bikes, I knew a guy who put 1 million miles on his BMW bike, the gave him a brand new one and put his in a museum somewhere.
But when they bought LR they tried to enter the 4x4 market and bring LR into the mainstream and make it profitable.
When they did that they cut corners and did studies and then built a 4x4 for their target demographic...soccer moms.
Cool go anywhere looks but with 18" rims to handle those potholes at the end of the cul-de-sac.
Smaller radiator, no CDL, air ride and a kick @ss stereo, everything the safari hunter needs.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lol

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
vandev and DiscoWest, do you have one of these in your back window with a Rover emblem under the stream? If not, it might be time...

Thats for american cars and truck... These are british...i need one that has the president of LR having me bent over my rig while he F&^cks me in the .... well, you know...

Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default if you really want to know..

if you really want to reduce the tempeture under the hood without gettoing the POS...Sell it and get a defender....

Last edited by vandev; 06-03-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWest
Any pics?
He put some up early in the thread...looks especially good with the hood blackout

Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03discoman
here is a really bad mock up...

doesnt look right on light colored trucks...but mines dark green, and since i have every bit of off-road gear...i can make it work....just think of a G4 d2 driving through the jungle...... with that on the hood letting hot air out...

i think it looks better than a cheap carpet vent from home depot no offense spike

Looks like a BBQ grill in your hood. HEY! That’s not a bad idea…use a steel cooking grate…then you can cook up some steaks when you pull off the trail.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TGDRZ
That’s not a bad idea…use a steel cooking grate…then you can cook up some steaks when you pull off the trail.
That was something they actually did with the mesh grills on the old Series trucks on safari, though they put the grill over a fire, rather than depending on the heat from the small engines.

Beats the plastic grills on our trucks

Old 06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the hummer hood vent arrived today.....i'll get some pics up soon

Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 AM
5th Gear

Hello from Australia. I just installed an engine temerature alarm. 2002 V8. It sits on about 78 degrees C. Once the car is stopped and the engine turned off, the temperature continues to rise. I would have thought that once the heat source (combustion in the cylinders) is removed, the temp should drop yet it rose to 90 C and the alarm sounded. One of my truck driver mates said "it's the core temperature coming out" the moment I lifted the hood, down it came.
Has anyone got a good explanation as to why the temp rises after the engine is turned off. All I can think is the surface of the engine runs about 12 degrees cooler than the core due to air flow over the engine whilst driving.

Vic

Last edited by victor56; 11-09-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 AM
5th Gear

By the way, I bought the car specifically to tow a horse float, about 2000 kg all up. It replaces an 87 diesel pajero.

Last edited by victor56; 11-09-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: duplicated

Quick Reply: Reducing underhood temperature